November 2, 2012

Boys' Soccer: Eagles regroup, take title in OT

Mt. Ararat, the top seed in the East, bounces back from a late Lewiston goal to win the regional title, 2-1.

By EARL SWINSON, Special to the Press Herald

TOPSHAM - Robbie Small scored both goals, including the game-winner at 2:10 of the second overtime, as top-seeded Mt. Ararat advanced to the State Class A boys' soccer championship with a 2-1 win over No. 2 Lewiston Thursday.


WHO: Scarborough (15-0-2) vs. Mt. Ararat (15-1-1)

WHEN: 10 a.m. Saturday

WHERE: Hampden Academy

The Eagles will meet Scarborough for the state title.

Mt. Ararat mounted its scoring drive with just over a minute gone in the second sudden-death extra session when Blue Devils keeper Eric Soucy had to make a diving save off Will Hirnak, and Small's rebound bid was blocked by a defender.

Mt. Ararat (15-1-1) retained possession, however, and was given a throw-in from the deep right side. Eric Bowie put it into the box, where Small headed it inside the far left post.

"I can't take all the credit," said Small, a sophomore striker. "Eric got the throw to me, and I was there at the right time.

"I was in the middle, so I knew the goalie would be there, so I just tried to direct it into the left side. One of my teammates was on my back, and if I had known he was there, I might have let him take it."

Abdi Shariff-Hersi sent the game into overtime when he scored for Lewiston (13-2-2) with just 46 seconds remaining in regulation.

Doud Idow collected a throw-in and crossed to an unmarked Shariff-Hersi, who grounded the ball past a diving Gabe Pelletier inside the left post.

Asked what it was like to bounce back from a late goal, Small said, "Coach (Rick Renaud) said before overtime to go to our strengths -- play the ball to the corners, make them deflect it out, and get throw-ins."

Mt. Ararat had the best chance in the first overtime when Dylan Michaud passed a Brian Johnson throw-in from the left to Hirnak, whose shot just missed the far right post.

Lewiston carried play for most of the opening half, outshooting the Eagles 11-3 and Pelletier to block a point-blank shot.

Small put the hosts on the board at 12:07 of the second half on a play started by Griffin Stockford, who passed the ball up to Nate Santeramo on the right sideline.

Santeramo fed a charging Small at the edge of the box, and Small grounded a shot inside the far left post.


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



Clearing the Bases - Friday
Pitching, pitching, pitching

More PPH Blogs

Winter sports 2013-2014

High School Football 2013

Fall sports photos