Wednesday, December 11, 2013
The Associated Press
EL PASO, Texas - Southern California was ranked No. 1 at the beginning of the season, and Matt Barkley was a strong contender for the Heisman Trophy. The year ended with Barkley on the sideline with a shoulder injury Monday as the Trojans lost to Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.
Tevin Washington threw a touchdown pass and ran for another score to lead the Yellow Jackets to a 21-7 victory.
"It was a really surprising day," Southern Cal Coach Lane Kiffin said. "Coming down and turning the ball over, and with third-down efficiency, we really found no rhythm on offense. I thought we'd play much better on offense today. The storyline really came down to our inefficiency on offense, and obviously it starts with the head coach."
USC (7-6) became the first preseason No. 1 team to lose six games. It's also all but assured of becoming the first school to enter the season on top of The Associated Press poll and finish unranked since Mississippi in 1964.
Washington's 1-yard touchdown run in the third made it 14-7, and he found Orwin Smith for a 17-yard touchdown pass in the fourth.
"I'm really proud of our football team," Coach Paul Johnson of Georgia Tech (7-7) said. "I thought that they showed up and played with a lot of heart and a lot of determination, and I know Southern California has some really good football players. It was a hard-fought game."
LIBERTY: Trey Watts rushed for 149 yards, Alex Singleton ran for three scores and Tulsa (11-3) beat Iowa State (6-7) 31-17 at Memphis, Tenn., avenging a season-opening loss to the Cyclones.
MUSIC CITY: Jordan Rodgers threw two touchdown passes and ran for another score as Vanderbilt (9-4) capped their best season since going 9-1 in 1915, beating North Carolina State (7-6) 38-24 at Nashville, Tenn.
CHICK-FIL-A: Chandler Catanzaro kicked a 37-yard field goal as time expired to lift 14th-ranked Clemson (11-2) to a 25-24 victory against ninth-ranked Louisiana State (10-3) at Atlanta.
BOWDOIN 4, CONCORDIA 3: Kayte Holtz scored with 10 seconds left in overtime to lift Bowdoin (6-1-1) over Concordia-Moorhead (4-4-3) at Eden Prairie, Minn.
After Brittany Oliver scored unassisted with 5:39 to go in regulation to push the Cobbers ahead 3-2, Ariana Bourque tied it with 1:21 left in regulation.
(5) INDIANA 69, IOWA 65: Cody Zeller had 15 of his 19 points in the second half and Indiana (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten) beat Iowa (11-3, 0-1) at Iowa City, Iowa.
(7) SYRACUSE 96, CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE 62: Michael Carter-Williams scored a career-high 18 points and added 13 assists, and Syracuse (12-1) beat visiting Central Connecticut State (4-7), giving Coach Jim Boeheim his 902nd career win, tying Bob Knight for second all-time among Division I men's coaches.
(9) MINNESOTA 76, (18) MICHIGAN STATE 63: Andre Hollins had 22 points and six assists, and Rodney Williams added 15 points and six rebounds to lift Minnesota (13-1, 1-0 Big Ten) over Michigan State (11-3, 0-1) at Minneapolis.
(10) GONZAGA 69, (22) OKLAHOMA STATE 68: Kevin Pangos scored 23 points and hit the clinching free throws with 4.3 seconds left, Kelly Olynyk scored all 21 of his points in the second half and Gonzaga (13-1) edged Oklahoma State (10-2) at Stillwater, Okla.
(14) CINCINNATI 70, (24) PITTSBURGH 61: Cashmere Wright scored 18 points, Sean Kilpatrick added 16 and visiting Cincinnati (13-1, 1-0 Big East) surged past Pittsburgh (12-2, 0-1).
SAINT LOUIS 60, (20) NEW MEXICO 46: Cory Remekun scored a career-high 15 points, Cody Ellis had 13 and Saint Louis (10-3) beat visiting New Mexico (13-2).
(23) NORTH CAROLINA STATE 89, UNC GREENSBORO 68: C.J. Leslie scored 21 points and North Carolina State (11-2) pulled away to beat UNC Greensboro (2-9) at Raleigh, N.C.
(25) KANSAS STATE 70, SOUTH DAKOTA 50: Nino Williams scored 16 points and Kansas State (11-2) pulled away late to defeat South Dakota (6-9) at Manhattan, Kan.
SALVE REGINA 63, COLBY 60: Jacky McLaughlin scored 15 points but Colby (4-5) lost to Salve Regina (2-6) at the Keene (N.H.) State tournament.