Thursday, December 12, 2013
By Steve Craig firstname.lastname@example.org
(Continued from page 1)
WRESTLER OF THE WEEK
Nick Janes, Marshwood senior: The top seed in the Western Class A regional, the quiet senior won the 138-pound title in his final home meet, finishing the championship with a solid 9-2 win against Josh Downs of Sanford in the final.
Isaiah Reynolds, Bonny Eagle junior: Reynolds dominated the 285-pound class at the Western A regional, pinning all three opponents, with a first-period fall against Tanner Andrews of Massabesic.
Chad Daly, Wells senior: Entered as the third seed in Western Class B's 145-pound division and competing at home for a last time, Daly pinned second-seeded Chad Bonti of Morse in the first period of a semifinal, then took down Josh Smith of York (an upset winner over top seed Matthew Boucher of Fryeburg Academy) in the final in the second period.
Josh Andrews, Massabesic senior: Andrews recorded the 99th, 100th and 101st pins of his career while winning the 220-pound Western Class A title at Marshwood. The defending state champ at 220 pounds, Andrews improved his career record to 148-28.
IF THE SEEDS hold up Saturday and the East champ meets the West champ in the final, here are some intriguing divisions:
• Class A 126-pound division: Mt. Blue senior Khalil Newbill against Massabesic junior Tyler Everett. Newbill won his fourth straight regional championship while Everett showed his mettle earlier in the year, winning a tough division at the Sanford Invitational and beating Newbill 13-10 at the Noble Invitational en route to a runner-up finish.
• Class A 170: Can two-time state champ Jared Jensen of Brunswick complete a perfect senior season or will Kennebunk senior Evan Fecko win his first?
• Class A 220: Two reigning state champs go at it. Victor Irwin of Brewer won the 195-pound title last year and Josh Andrews of Massabesic is the reigning 220 champ.
• Class B 195: Aggressive York sophomore Zach Handley against experienced Belfast senior Peter Kelley, who was third at this weight a year ago and honed his power at 220 pounds for much of the season.
• Class A 120 and Class B 132: Will there be a four-time state champ? Marshwood's Tyler Davidson (A-120) has a tougher road than Belfast's Brent Waterman (B-132). If Davidson's not facing East champ Julian Sirois, that likely means a fourth match vs. Lucas Dion of Massabesic, and Dion holds a 2-1 series edge.
IF THE ANTICIPATED storm cancels Saturday's championships at the Augusta Civic Center, they will move to separate sites at a date to be determined. Class A will be held at Sanford, Class B at Fryeburg Academy and Class C at Mountain Valley, hosted by Dirigo.
Staff Writer Steve Craig can be contacted at 791-6413 or at: