Saturday, December 7, 2013
• Downeast Lacrosse won the Big Dawg Challenge in Providence, R.I., beating teams from Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut on its way to a 5-0 record. It was the second championship of the summer for the southern Maine squad, which also won the Boys' Varsity A division at the Xtreme Lax tournament in Groton, Mass.
The 207Lacrosse boys’ U16 team won the Sound Lacrosse Summer Classic in Fairfield, Conn. Team members are: Curtis Alexander and Riley Pillsbury of Cape Elizabeth; John Beatty and Brendan Dioli of Yarmouth; Zach Bryant and Isaac Sinclair of Thornton Academy; Josh Caldwell and Jacob Truman of Gardiner; Ryan Croatti, Cam Glover and Chris Mrvichin of Brunswick; Sam Doolittle, Mitchel Mullen and Harry Shain of Greely; T-Moe Hellier of South Portland; Bryce Kuhn and CJ Leighton of Falmouth; Thomas Lawson and Nick Schleh of Cheverus; and Jame Phelps of Westbrook. The team is coached by Sam Manders.
The Portland Senior Babe Ruth baseball team won the state championship with an 11-10 victory over Farmington on July 14 in Standish. Team members include, from left to right, front: Brad Perry; middle: Joe Smith, Brad Pineau, Dan Herman, Pat Littlefield, Sam Goldberg; back: Coach Jon Smith, Merrick Madden, Travis Fisher, Ryan Jamison, Bryan Cross, Jake Smith, Coach Todd Stewart, Coach Bob Pineau. Absent from photo: Galen Hand, Josh Hoyt and Evan Stewart.
• Maine Milestones includes news and photos of local athletes and teams, providing a place for items that otherwise might have a hard time finding a spot in the sports section.
• This reader-submitted material ranges from an individual getting a hole-in-one to a youth team winning a championship. Photos should be sent in .jpg format, and all emails should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please include your name and a phone number for verification.
Team members are Christian Neelon, Austin Doody, Brendan Smith, Andrew Farrington and Matt Murphy of Scarborough; Josh Cyr and Brett Levasseur of Saco; Svenn Jacobson of Cumberland; Steve Patrie of Lewiston; Jack Sutton and Peter Dyche of Freeport; Clayton Spang, Ben Bath, Nick Bath and Breandan Haley of Kennebunkport; Patrick Rimmer of Kennebunk; Tyler Jordan, Brad Gilbert, David Criscione and Charlie Fay of Falmouth; Jake Desrochers and Corbin Cass of Alfred; Jimmy Talbott of Gorham; and Cody O'Brien of Orrs Island. Tobey Farrington is the head coach, assisted by Tom Talbott.
• Cheryl Gagnon aced the 112-yard fourth hole at Nonesuch River Golf Club on July 18. Playing with Susan Sedenka and Becky Barnett, Gagnon used a 4-iron hybrid.
• Martha Kelly made her first hole-in-one on the 17th hole at The Woodlands Club on Saturday, using a 9-iron from 126 yards. The shot was witnessed by Marc Wiess and Jayne Hanley.
• Bob Small got his first career hole-in-one on the fifth hole at Purpoodock Club on Saturday, with a shot from 186 yards witnessed by Mike Martin, Brian LaSalle and Tom Trufant.
• Mike Doran used a 5-iron on the 192-yard 11th hole at Sable Oaks on Sunday to record his third career hole-in-one. It was witnessed by Matt Greenleaf and Ashley Fifield.
click image to enlarge
The Maine Maniacs eighth-grade girls’ basketball team earned a medal by finishing 11th among 76 teams in the Division 2 National AAU tournament recently in Orlando, Fla. Team members, front row, left to right: Maddie Hasson (South Portland), Domi Lewis (Lawrence), CeCe Hancock (Lake Region), Spencer True (Lake Region), Margaret Hatch (Greely). Back row: Coach Matt Hancock, Montana Braxton (Cape Elizabeth), Ashley Howe (Thornton Academy), Nia Irving (Lawrence), Emily Jacques (Edward Little), Caitlin Kane (Mt. Blue), Coach Steve Howe.