Friday, May 24, 2013
From staff and news services
STANDISH – Matthew Medeiros scored 29 points Tuesday night as St. Joseph's College opened its men's basketball season with an 82-62 victory against Bowdoin.
The Monks were 11 for 16 from 3-point range with Medeiros hitting six. Nich Jobin finished with 17 points and Julio Vazquez scored 10 for the Monks.
Andrew Madlinger led the Polar Bears (1-2) with 15 points. Keegan Pieri added 12.
UM-FARMINGTON 62, COLBY 61: Andrew Dickey scored 19 points as the Beavers (3-0) won at Farmington and defeated Colby (1-2) for the first time since the 2006-07 season – a stretch of seven games.
Nate Carson scored 16 points and Ben Johnson added 15 for Farmington. Luke Westman scored 20 points for Colby.
After Farmington opened with a 14-2 run, Colby chipped went ahead in the second half on a three-point play by Chris Hudnut. The Beavers made it 57-57 on a 3-pointer by Yusuf Iman, then took a 62-57 lead on a jumper and a 3-pointer by Carson.
SOUTHERN MAINE 71, BATES 66: Alex Kee scored 21 points to help the Huskies (3-0) rally from a 13-point first-half deficit and defeat Bates (2-1) at Lewiston.
James Odneal added 18 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks, Conor Sullivan had 13 points and Mike Poulin 11 for USM.
Ed Bogdanovich had 17 points and 10 rebounds, and Mark Brust added 10 points for Bates.
Bates extended a 10-8 lead with an 11-0 run, including a 3-pointer by Mike Boornazian, and a steal and layup from Billy Selmon. Kee answered with back-to-back 3-pointers and the Huskies narrowed the lead to one point over the next five minutes, with Kee soring 10 over that stretch.
USM edged ahead for good in the second half.
MOUNT IDA 90, UNE 52: Reserve Evens St. Juste scored 18 points in 15 minutes as the Mustangs (2-1) routed the Nor'easters (0-3) at Newton, Mass.
St. Juste made four 3-pointers, a field goal and four free throws to lead four players in double digits.
Charles Fenner had 12 points and Jesse Dykstra 11 for UNE.
(7) FLORIDA 58, SAVANNAH STATE 40: Mike Rosario scored 13 points and Patric Young added a double-double as Florida (4-0) overwhelmed Savannah State (3-3) at Gainesville, Fla.
BUTLER 82, (9) NORTH CAROLINA 71: Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham each scored 17 points to lead the Bulldogs (3-1) past the Tar Heels (4-1), jumping out to a 17-point halftime lead and holding back several second-half surges in the second round of the Maui Invitational at Lahaina, Hawaii.
(11) UCLA 60, GEORGIA 56: Shabazz Muhammad scored 20 points and UCLA (4-1) made enough free throws late to hold off Georgia (1-4) at New York.
(14) CREIGHTON 105, LONGWOOD 57: Doug McDermott and Gregory Echenique scored 17 points apiece to lead four players for Creighton (4-0) in double figures against Longwood (0-4) at Omaha, Neb.
(15) MICHIGAN STATE 74, BOISE STATE 70: Keith Appling scored 22 points , and Branden Dawson and Denzel Valentine made key contributions to help slow-starting Michigan State (3-1) rally twice to beat Boise State (3-1) at East Lansing, Mich.
(22) CINCINNATI 91, CAMPBELL 72: Cashmere Wright scored a career-high 28 points and Cincinnati (4-0) beat visiting Campbell.
SOUTHERN MAINE 3, COLBY 2: Lorne Miller scored a power-play goal 4:45 into overtime as the Huskies (4-2) beat Colby (0-3) at Gorham.
USM took a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Sam Guimond and Troy Thibodeau. Colby tied it when Jack Bartlett scored in the second period and Cory McGrath scored in the third.
BOWDOIN 4, UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND 2: Bowdoin (2-0-1) opened a two-goal lead and went on to defeat the Nor'easters (1-5) at Biddeford.
Daniel Weiniger scored at 4:14 of the first period and Danny Palumbo on a power-play wrist shot at 4:45 of the second for the Polar Bears. UNE made it 2-1 with 4:43 left in the second when Jared Melman knocked in a rebound, assisted by Adam Laite and Russ Franey.
Harry Matheson and Melman traded goals midway through the third period. Kyle Lockwood then clinched it with 1:36 left.