January 11, 2013

Photos by John Ewing/Staff Photographer

Pete Hurley of Greely pushes a rebound past York goalie Eric Lindbom for a goal that made it 8-0 in the second period Thursday night. Greely went on to a surprisingly one-sided 13-0 victory.

Boys' Hockey: Rangers leave no room for doubt

By Paul Betit
Staff Writer

FALMOUTH - It wasn't a typical boys' hockey game between York and Greely.

As recently as last month, the Rangers had to hold off the Wildcats for a 3-2 win at Dover, N.H.

Thursday night, the reigning Class B state champions rolled to a 13-0 victory at Family Ice Center.

"Tonight wasn't the kind of game that I recall Greely and York playing over the years," Greely Coach Barry Mothes said. "We've had a lot of last-second dramas and overtimes, close games. I don't remember a game with this score differential, probably ever."

The game was marred by a fight -- a rarity in Maine schoolboy hockey -- that led to the disqualification of three players.

"On some levels, it was not a great night for hockey," Mothes said. "Our guys did a lot of things well tonight, so we're pleased with that, but we're not happy with the number of penalties and just the edge that came into the game. Players being (disqualified) and players getting sent off is just not a great night of hockey that you hope to have."

The fight occurred behind the York goal 10 minutes into the second period and resulted in the expulsion of Greely forward Tommy Thompson, York forward Zach Franklin and York defenseman Nick Walsh.

"It's the frustration of playing two weeks of games with one practice and no nights off in between," York Coach Mike Vessey said. "Sooner or later, the dam is going to break. (Greely's) broke scoring-wise, and ours broke behavior-wise."

The Rangers (5-2) had scored just seven goals in their last five games, including three exhibition games against top New Hampshire teams during the Christmas break and 3-1 losses to Class A powers Falmouth and Lewiston last week.

"Goals were not coming easy," Mothes said. "I think there was some pent-up offensive energy, and some guys really got untracked tonight. Some of the goals came because we were doing things we wanted to do in terms of moving the puck and playing unselfish."

Greely had a 45-14 edge in shots and held the Wildcats (5-6) without a shot for nearly 18 minutes over one stretch in the first two periods.

The Rangers scored three goals in the last two minutes of the first period for a 5-0 lead. It was 9-0 after two periods.

Mitchel Donovan, a sophomore forward, led the way with two goals and five assists. Reid Howland, also a sophomore, and Ted Hart, a junior, each had two goals and three assists. Jarod Lavallee, a freshman, scored twice.

Adam Black, Peter Hurley, Kyle Megathlin, Matt Ames and Nick Caputo added a goal apiece.

Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at:

Twitter: PaulBetitPPH

John Ewing

Miles Shields, right, of Greely and Derek Neal of York chase after the puck during Greely’s 13-0 victory Thursday night at Family Ice Center.

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)

  • Back to Sports

Life & Culture

© 2014 The Portland Press Herald - All Rights Reserved.
MaineToday Media
One City Center, 5th floor, Portland, ME 04101-5009
(207) 791-6650