June 9, 2013

Boys' lacrosse: Scarborough back in final

The three-time defending state champs cruise past Marshwood, 14-2.

By Steve Craig scraig@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

SCARBOROUGH - Diverse scoring, a tenacious defense and a star player getting it done.

Scarborough High's top-seeded boys' lacrosse team had everything working in a 14-2 victory against fifth-seeded Marshwood in a Western Class A semifinal Saturday.

John Wheeler scored two goals early, then added five assists. Nathan Howard controlled the faceoffs and scored three goals, including the final two of the game just seven seconds apart early in the fourth quarter.

Marshwood (8-6) had limited possessions.

When the Hawks did have chances, long-stick defenders Anthony Quintilliani and Luke Bernard showed that they had the athletic ability to play punishing man-to-man defense.

"We count it as a luxury to have defenders like that. It's good," Wheeler said.

Scarborough (12-1) showed no rust from its 11-day break since the regular season ended. The Red Storm will be home against third-seeded Kennebunk in Wednesday's regional final.

After the game, Marshwood Coach Ralph Ruocco said his four-year run as coach had ended.

"It's a sad way for me to end my career as coach. I already put in the resignation," Ruocco said. "These guys tried to do everything possible but Scarborough's just way too good. They are well-coached. They have excellent sticks. They killed us on faceoffs and ground balls. Just every aspect of the game, they were on their A game for sure."

Jurien Garrison and Cam Loiselle each had two goals and an assist. Andrew Farrington (one assist), Christian Neelon (two assists), Matthew Murphy, Austin Doody and Dalton Finley each scored once.

Scarborough had the ball for close to 10 of the first 12 minutes but led only 2-0 at the end of the first quarter. Gradually the huge possession advantage translated into a growing lead.

"Their zone slowed us at first like it's supposed to," Wheeler said. "As the game went along the looks got even better and we scored with good efficiency."

Finley's goal came 15 seconds into the second half for an 8-1 lead. He initiated the next goal with a long clearing pass that started a fast break, with Garrison finishing from Neelon.

"As they got comfortable with what Marshwood was doing and finding the spots to step into, it got better and it got a lot better quickly," Scarborough Coach Joe Hezlep said.

Terence O'Brien and Sam Woodman scored for Marshwood.

Steve Craig can be reached at 791-6413 or:


Twitter: SteveCCraig


Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)



More PPH Blogs

2014 Boston Marathon


Spring sports photos