Sunday, December 8, 2013
Yankee Ford beats Lender's for Twilight League title
Devin Flynn hit an RBI single with one out in the bottom of the 12th inning to lift Yankee Ford to a 7-6 win over Lender's Network in the Twilight League championship game Sunday at Deering Oaks.
Andrew Stacey struck out 14 over 10 innings for Yankee Ford, which tied the game with a four-run ninth, sparked by Justin Csiwski's two-run double.
Lender's Network scored four runs in the first inning on a three-run homer by Todd Keneborus and a solo blast by John Carey. Keneborus finished with two hits and four RBI.
LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES: Jayson Brown drove in two runs with a two-out triple and Brock Myers followed with a two-run homer to help unbeaten Goodlettsville, Tenn., defeat Petaluma, Calif., 9-6 in South Williamsport, Pa.
Tennessee overcame four home runs by California, which faces an elimination game Monday against Parsippany, N.J.
• San Antonio also remained undefeated, as Jordan Cardenas hit his second homer of the tournament and Zachary Sanchez also went deep in a 13-3 victory over New Castle, Ind.
• In the International bracket, Aguadulce, Panama, and Tokyo improved to 2-0. Hajime Motegi's home run in the ninth inning gave Tokyo a 2-0 win over Taoyuan, Taiwan, and James Gonzalez had two homers and six RBI for Panama in an 8-3 win over Vancouver, British Columbia.
NBA: Golden State center Andrew Bogut said he expects to be in the lineup for the season opener Oct. 31 at Phoenix after having surgery this spring on his troublesome ankle.
The 7-foot Bogut underwent surgery April 27 to clean out loose particles and bone spurs. He has yet to play for the Warriors since being acquired in a trade from Milwaukee on March 13 that sent Monta Ellis to the Bucks.
WNBA: Matee Ajavon scored 22 points and Jasmine Thomas made the go-ahead 3-pointer with 16 seconds left in overtime as the Washington Mystics outlasted visiting Chicago 75-71, snapping an eight-game losing streak against the Sky.
• Becky Hammon scored 13 of her 19 points in the first half to lead the San Antonio Silver Stars past Phoenix 89-47, extending their franchise-best winning streak to 11 games and handing the Mercury their eight straight loss.
• Maya Moore scored 22 points and the Minnesota Lynx pulled away in the fourth quarter to beat the visiting Tulsa Shock, 83-59.
PREMIER LEAGUE: Manchester City fought back after a second-half collapse against Southampton to open its title defense with a 3-2 victory.
Substitutes Rickie Lambert and Steven Davis put Southampton up 2-1 after City's Carlos Tevez scored the first goal. But Samir Nasri spared City from an opening weekend upset by scoring the winning goal in the 80th minute after Edin Dzeko tied the score.
• Newcomer Eden Hazard made an immediate impact for Chelsea, setting up Branislav Ivanovic's goal and drawing a penalty that Frank Lampard converted to clinch a 2-0 victory over Wigan.
WINSTON-SALEM OPEN: James Blake beat Spain's Albert Ramos 6-4, 6-3 in the first round at Winston-Salem, N.C.
-- From staff and news services