Friday, March 7, 2014
From staff and news services
PLYMOUTH, N.H. - Senior guard Nicole Garland led four players in double figures, going 5-for-8 on 3-pointers for 15 points as 12th-ranked Southern Maine routed Plymouth State 81-39 in a Little East Conference women's basketball game Wednesday.
USM (23-1, 12-1C) has now clinched the Little East Conference regular season title and earns the top seed for the upcoming conference tournament.
Plymouth State falls to 1-22 and 0-13.
COLBY 61, CONN. COLLEGE 58: Diana Manduca scored 21 points with eight rebounds, five assists and five steals, but the Mules (8-16, 1-9 NESCAC) ended their season with an overtime loss to the Camels (10-13, 4-6) at Medford, Mass.
Manduca ended her career with 1,063 points -- 14th-best in all-time scoring at Colby.
HARTFORD 82, MAINE 56: Amber Bepko scored 28 points, including five of Hartford's 14 3-pointers, to lead the Hawks (17-8, 8-4 America East) in a rout of the Black Bears (2-22, 1-10) at West Hartford, Conn.
Ashleigh Roberts led Maine with 23 points and also had four steals and three assists.
(25) OKLAHOMA STATE 64, WEST VIRGINIA 54: Brittney Martin scored a career-high 21 points and Oklahoma State (17-6, 6-6) pulled away at Morgantown, W. Va.
MAINE 66, ALBANY 52: Justin Edwards led the Black Bears with 16 points in an America East Conference win over the Great Danes (18-8, 7-5) at Orono.
Zarko Valjarevic scored 13 points, Alasdair Fraser added 11 and Jon McAllian chipped in 10 off the bench to help Maine (9-15, 4-7) snap a four-game losing streak.
USM 60, PLYMOUTH STATE 50: Alex Kee had 14 points and Conor Sullivan added 13 as the Huskies (14-10, 8-5 Little East) handled the Panthers (6-18, 2-11) at Plymouth, N.H.
(1) INDIANA 76, NEBRASKA 47: Cody Zeller scored 16 points and Christian Watford finished with 13 points and 11 rebounds to help the Hoosiers (22-3, 10-2 Big Ten) pull away at Indianapolis.
(3) MIAMI 74, FLORIDA STATE 68: Shane Larkin scored 13 of his 22 points in the final 7 minutes to help Miami (20-3, 11-0 ACC) stave off Florida State (13-11, 5-6) at Tallahasse, Fla., for its 12th straight victory.
CONNECTICUT 66, (6) SYRACUSE 58: Freshman Omar Calhoun scored 15 points, including three 3-pointers in the deciding second-half run, as the Huskies (17-6, 7-4 Big East) beat the Orange at Hartford, Conn.
CHARLOTTE 71, (11) BUTLER 67: Pierria Henry scored 17 points to lead Charlotte (18-6, 6-4) to an upset at Indianapolis.
Chris Braswell and Willie Clayton each had 11 points for the 49ers.
Rotnei Clarke scored 18 and Roosevelt Jones had 17 points and nine rebounds to lead the Bulldogs (20-5, 7-3 Atlantic 10).
(17) OKLAHOMA STATE 91, TEXAS TECH 67: Markel Brown scored 25 points and matched a career high with seven 3-pointers, all in the first half, to lead the Cowboys at Lubbock, Texas.
Phil Forte added 14 points for the Cowboys (18-5, 8-3 Big 12).
(21) NOTRE DAME 82, DEPAUL 78: Jerian Grant scored 21 points, including a big three-point play in overtime to lift the host Irish (20-5, 8-4 Big East) to another overtime win over the Blue Demons (10-14, 1-10).
(22) MEMPHIS 93, CENTRAL FLORIDA 71: Joe Jackson had 21 points and 10 assists as the Tigers (21-3, 10-0 Conference USA) won at home for their 15th straight victory.