July 20, 2013

Major League Notebook: Yankees put Jeter back on disabled list

The Associated Press

BOSTON - New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter went back on the disabled list Friday, knocking him out of the three-game series against the Boston Red Sox -- and beyond.

The Yankees placed Jeter on the 15-day DL with a strained right quadriceps he injured in his first game back last week after being out all season with a broken left ankle. Jeter rejected the possibility he returned too soon from the injury he sustained in last year's playoffs.

"I was ready to come back; I came back; I was running fine," he said. "This happened, but this happens to guys who go through full spring trainings and play a lot of games.

"Right now it's fine, but I haven't run. I'm pretty sure they'll make me run before they have me play."

RAYS: Right-hander Alex Cobb, who sustained a concussion when he was hit in the head by a batted ball in June, is scheduled to begin a rehab assignment Tuesday with Class A Charlotte.

Cobb, 6-2 with a 3.01 ERA in 13 starts, was cleared to begin his rehab after throwing 59 pitches in a four-inning simulated game at Tampa Bay's spring-training complex one day earlier.

RANGERS: Right fielder Nelson Cruz was out of the lineup because of a migraine headache.

PHILLIES: Right-handed reliever Mike Adams still feels discomfort in his pitching shoulder and might be headed for season-ending surgery.

TWINS: Minnesota recalled first baseman Chris Colabello from Triple-A Rochester, the last of three replacements in an All-Star break roster shake-up.

The Twins announced before the break they were bringing up catcher/outfielder Chris Herrmann and infielder Doug Bernier, but waited until after Colabello played in the Triple-A All-Star game to make the move.

REDS: First baseman Joey Votto said he understands why second baseman Brandon Phillips questioned Votto's big contract extension during a magazine interview.

In the upcoming issue of Cincinnati Magazine, Phillips is quoted as saying he is "still scarred" that the front office gave Votto a 10-year, $225 million extension in 2012, when the first baseman still had two years left on his contract.

At the time, Phillips was in his option year trying to get a multiyear extension.

Cincinnati called up infielder Neftali Soto before the start of its weekend series against Pittsburgh, providing another right-handed hitter off the bench.

Left-handed reliever Sean Marshall had another setback in his comeback from a sore pitching shoulder, forcing him to cut back on his throwing program for a few days.

WHITE SOX: Chicago activated right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy from the disabled list and could be about a week away from getting right-handed set-up man Jesse Crain back as well.

CUBS: Chicago placed outfielder Brian Bogusevic on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder-infielder Junior Lake from Triple-A Iowa to fill his roster spot.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)


 

Blogs

Clearing the Bases - Yesterday
Pitching, pitching, pitching

More PPH Blogs

Winter sports 2013-2014

High School Football 2013

Fall sports photos