By adopting the “Preserve Maine Waters” law in 2001, the state of Maine required motorized watercrafts to have a Lake and River Protection Sticker – nicknamed the “milfoil sticker” – in order to enter any inland waters.

There are two types of stickers: resident and non-resident. Residents pay $10, and non-residents pay $20. Residency status is based on where a boat is registered, and not the residency of the owner.

It is important to recognize that the sticker is not an inspection sticker. Its purpose is to raise money for milfoil management and prevention, especially rapid response efforts. According to the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, 60 percent of the funds generated by sticker sales go to the DEP, while the remaining 40 percent go to the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

Stickers can be purchased online through the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife online store, or wherever boats are registered or fishing licenses sold.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.