LEWISTON — South Portland High has been grinding through this boys’ hockey season, working hard and churning out wins.

But against a team like Biddeford, the Red Riots needed something more — a way to dampen the Tigers’ dynamite offense.

The Fleurent brothers, Trevor and Brady, each had two goals and two assists Saturday night to lead Biddeford to a 7-2 victory in a Western Class A semifinal at the Colisee.

The top-ranked Tigers (17-2-1) advanced to the regional final Tuesday night at the Colisee against Falmouth or Thornton Academy.

Fourth-seeded South Portland (15-5) ended one of its most successful seasons.

The Red Riots skated with Biddeford at times but couldn’t match the Tigers’ ability to score quickly.

”They’re very talented,” South Portland Coach Joe Robinson said. ”Our kids played with a lot of heart. They worked for the full 45 minutes.

”We came out fired-up, but maybe too fired-up. We lost track of where we should be.”

Biddeford scored 19 seconds into the game.

Trevor Fleurent won the face-off and sent the puck down the ice. The Tigers hurried for possession.

From behind the net, Brady Fleurent backhanded a pass into the slot.

There, Trevor Fleurent was skating in and winding up. His slap shot found the net.

”Brady gets all the credit for that one,” Trevor said.

On Biddeford’s first power play, Craig Anton crossed to Trevor Fleurent in front of the net. He didn’t miss and the Tigers held a 2-0 lead after 5:51.

South Portland appeared to settle down after that. But late in the period, Biddeford was at it again.

Scott Callahan deflected in a slap shot by Eric Grover for a power-play goal at 13:08.

Just 44 seconds later, Brady Fleurent was swatting in a rebound for a 4-0 lead after the first period.

”I liked our quick start,” Biddeford Coach Rich Reissfelder said. ”Our message in between periods was ‘don’t get complacent,’ and I don’t think we did.

”But give South Portland credit. They put a lot of energy out there and worked their tails off.”

Biddeford outshot the Red Riots 11-6 through the first periods, but the shots were 22-22 after that.

South Portland scored when Robert Hannigan buried a score on an assist from Brendan Horton at 9:31 of the second period.

But Brady Fleurent answered at 13:12 for a 5-1 lead.

The Red Riots kept at it with Neil Maietta scoring 16 seconds into the third period.

It stayed 5-2 until Biddeford scored twice in the last 1:37, by Derek Reny and Nick Gagne.

The Tigers outshot South Portland 33-28 for the game.

”Four minutes in the first period hurt us,” Robinson said. ”The rest of the game, we played very, very well.”


Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be reached at 791-6411 or at:

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.