BIDDEFORD — Firefighters from Biddeford and Saco were called in tonight to fight a fire that broke out inside a trash shredder at the Maine Energy Recovery Co. on Lincoln Street.

Lt. Peter Anton said the fire, which started at 7:41 p.m. was brought under control within an hour.

The trash shredder is located inside an enclosed area of the MERC facility. In the past, explosions have ignited fires, but on Sunday night there were no reports of explosions, Anton said.

No one was injured.


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.