Breaking 1991 record, temperature reaches 76

A record high temperature was set Sunday at the Portland International Jetport, with the temperature reaching 76 degrees at 2:43 p.m.

The National Weather Service in Gray said the new high shattered the old record of 63 degrees set in 1991.

The record was one of several set across northern New England over the weekend.

In New Hampshire, the weather service said it reached 82 degrees Saturday in Concord, breaking the old record for the date of 72 degrees set in 1981.

Elsewhere in Maine, the temperature Saturday reached 82 degrees in Caribou, shattering the old record of 58 degrees set in 1988. Records were also set in Bangor, where it hit 70 degrees, and in Houlton, where it reached 78 degrees.

In Vermont, records were set in Burlington, where the temperature hit 83 degrees, as well as Montpelier and St. Johnsbury, where it reached 84 degrees.


Scarborough man killed in vehicle-moose collision

Police say a 50-year-old man was killed when the car he was in struck a moose on Interstate 295 in Topsham.

Maine State Police said Jose Jarez of Scarborough died Saturday night after the moose crashed through the windshield of the car driven by his brother, Jorge Jarez, who suffered minor injuries.

Moments after the collision, a car driven by 22-year-old Meghan Glancy of Woolwich overturned and skidded on its roof after striking the dead animal in the highway. Police say Glancy suffered back and neck injuries and was taken by helicopter to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston.


Cyclists cautioned as park prepares to reopen road

Crews at Acadia National Park are removing the last snow and ice as they prepare to open the Park Loop Road.

Officials say cyclists should continue to use caution for the time being. The loop road, along with Hulls Cove Visitor Center, is due to open April 15. The visitor center’s audiovisual orientation this summer will be “Acadia Always,” narrated by Jack Perkins.

All hiking trails are already open except for two where peregrine falcons are nesting: the Precipice and the Flying Mountain trails.


Woman jailed in arson inside city police station

Police say a 46-year-old woman remains in jail on a charge of felony arson for allegedly setting a fire inside the Lewiston police station in hopes of getting arrested so she could be closer to her boyfriend.

Patricia Ann Cox of Bangor was being held on $2,500 cash bail Sunday for allegedly setting fire to a poster Friday morning.

Police told the Sun Journal that Cox wanted to be arrested to be closer to her 58-year-old boyfriend, who had been arrested the previous night on drunken-driving and habitual motor vehicle offender charges. Police say the fire burned the poster and singed the wall, but nobody was hurt.




Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.