CUMBERLAND – North Yarmouth Academy scored five goals in less than four minutes late in the third quarter, then held on for a 10-7 victory against Greely in a Western Maine Conference schoolboy lacrosse game Tuesday night.

The Panthers made their run after the Rangers were unable to score during a two-minute segment with a man advantage.

“It really helped our momentum there, killing off a big penalty like that,” said Finn Hadlock, who had two goals and an assist for NYA. “We got a nice run, a nice little roll.”

It was the first win of the season for NYA, which opened April 16 with an 11-5 loss to Yarmouth, the two-time defending Class B champion.

“It starts with our defense,” NYA Coach Chris Carpentier said. “It’s the first step of our offense. If we can’t get the ball out of there, then we can’t score.”

The score was 4-4 before the Panthers put together their run to move into a 9-4 lead with less than two minutes left in the third quarter.

“We found their weaknesses and we tried to exploit them as much as possible,” Carpentier said. “It’s just like every other game. It’s Xs and Os and what you’re going to do to whom.”

The Rangers (1-1) opened April 15 with an 11-2 victory against Wells.

“We haven’t had as many scrimmages as we could have this year, and we weren’t prepared,” Greely Coach Casey Abbott said.

“But once we got (the players) off the field and talked to them, the guys definitely pulled it together and turned it around.”

The Rangers, who held a 23-21 edge in shots on goal, scored three goals over the final 13 minutes, but it wasn’t enough.

Tim Millett and Forrest Millburn each scored three goals for NYA. Mike Morrison and Dylan Seeley each added one goal.

Max Freeman and Ted Russell each scored two goals for Greely. Paul Witte scored a goal and had an assist.

Jake Eustis and Nick Rotundi each added a goal.

NYA took a 2-0 lead during the first 11 minutes of the game on goals by Seeley and Millett.

“We came out and scored two quick goals, and it showed we could play a little bit, which is what we need,” Carpentier said.

But the Panthers couldn’t sustain their momentum, and the Rangers pulled even.

The score was 3-3 at the end of the first half.

Greely took a short-lived lead when Russell scored his first goal 1:39 into the third quarter.

A little more than a minute later, Millett scored the second of his three goals to tie it.

Then NYA finished the third quarter with a rush to move into the lead for good.

“We can play like that the whole game,” Hadlock said. “We’ve just got to prove it, right now.”


Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at: [email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.