PORTLAND — A home for people with mental illness was evacuated late Thursday after fire broke out in a third-floor apartment.

Deputy Fire Chief Robert Wassick said three engines, three ladder trucks and two ambulances were sent to 130 Park St. around 10 p.m.

When they arrived at the brick building, which is owned by Shalom House, they encountered heavy fire and smoke. Most of the damage was confined to the third-floor apartment and roof.

“Everyone got out safely and is accounted for,” Wassick said, but all of the residents had to be moved to other Shalom House properties for the night. No one was injured.

Wassick said the fire appears to have been caused by an electrical malfunction in the third-floor apartment.


Staff Writer Dennis Hoey can be contacted at 791-6365 or at:

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.