CUSHING — The Maine Fire Marshal’s office is seeking the cause of a fire that destroyed 168 lobster traps piled in the yard of a Cushing lobsterman.

The Cushing Fire Department was called to the home of Wyatt Weaver on Tuesday night.

The traps were stacked about 25 yards from Weaver’s house. About 300 other traps in Weaver’s yard did not burn.

Officials say the fire destroyed the PVC liner of the metal traps.

Knox County Sheriff’s Deputy Mark Tibbetts says lobster traps can burn, but they have to be ignited with an accelerant such as gasoline.

Weaver tells the Bangor Daily News the burned traps were worth about $15,000.

Weaver says he’s dealt with people vandalizing his lobster gear, but he hasn’t had any trouble in the last year.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.