GRAY — A fire that started in a faulty fish aquarium cord destroyed a single family home at 35 North Raymond Road in Gray this afternoon.

Acting Fire Chief Galen Morrison said an 11-year-old boy was watching television – his parents were at work – when he noticed that a fire had started near the aquarium.

The boy grabbed a telephone and ran outside the single story home where he called 911.

Firefighters arrived around 3 p.m. and were able to extinguish the fire within a matter of minutes. A dog who was trapped inside the house was rescued by firefighters.

Morrison said the home, which sustained extensive fire and smoke damage, is uninhabitable. The family was expected to stay with relatives.

“I said, congratulations son, you did everything right,” Morrison said.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.