PORTLAND – It took a while, but the Waynflete girls’ lacrosse team finally found its game Thursday, pulling away in the second half for an 18-7 victory over Wells in a Western Class B semifinal.

The Flyers, playing for the first time since May 25, outscored the Warriors 8-2 in the second half, surviving a scare that saw Wells pull within two goals with just over seven minutes left in the first half.

“The beginning was a little scary,” said Amy Allen, who scored four goals and assisted on another for the Flyers. “But we pulled together and worked as a team. We got into the flow in the second half.”

Top-ranked Waynflete (11-2), the defending state Class B champion, will play in the regional final Wednesday. Wells finished 6-7.

“We were slow starting,” said Waynflete Coach Cathie Connors. “It was really a matter of talking it through and getting everyone going. We weren’t moving our feet, we were relying on stick checks. We just needed to put it together.”

Lily Colley, who had a hand in every Wells goal, scoring four and assisting on the other three, opened the scoring just 1:12 into the game. Waynflete responded and led 6-2. But Colley scored twice in 14 seconds and it was suddenly 6-4.

“That got us going,” said freshman Sadie Cole, who had three goals and four assists. “We know when we have to turn it up. And Coach said all the right things to get us going.”

Waynflete got four of the next five goals, taking a 10-5 halftime lead when Cole scored with three seconds remaining.

“It was nice to have a little breathing room,” said Allen. “You always like to have a little bit of a lead.”

Then Morgan Woodhouse (five goals, one assist) won the second-half draw and wove through the defense to score unassisted. Freshman Martha Veroneau scored two goals, one off a steal, in 12 seconds to make it 13-5 with 23:31 left. Allen and Woodhouse scored to make it 15-5 with 16:08 remaining.

“I think we surprised them a little bit,” said Wells Coach Marty Webb. “I’m very proud of the way my girls played. We did a great job and made Waynflete work in the first half. I think we got a little tired in the second.”

Waynflete thoroughly controlled the second half, having an 8-3 edge in draws (after each won eight draws in the first half). Waynflete outshot Wells 37-15 but was continually turned back by Wells goalie Savanna Subilia, who made 14 saves.

“We’re just taking it one game at a time,” said Woodhouse. “For me, this is my senior year and I don’t want to leave anything on the field.”


Staff Writer Mike Lowe can be contacted at 791-6422 or at:

[email protected]


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.