CUTLER — A lighthouse that was once considered an endangered historic property will soon be open to the public, according to the Associated Press.

The Friends of Little River Lighthouse will host an open house on July 20 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The lighthouse is located on Little River Island, off the coast of Cutler, near Machias.

In 1998, Maine Historic Preservation listed the lighthouse among the state’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Properties, according to the friends group’s Web site. The American Lighthouse Foundation took ownership of the island in 2002.

Established in 1847, the present lighthouse was built in 1876. It’s 41 feet tall and constructed of brick and steel. The site also includes a boat house built in 1881 and a keeper’s house built in 1888.

The friends group will provide free boat rides to the 15-acre island, departing from the town landing in Cutler. Refreshments will be served.