Woman injured in car crash that closes I-295 exit ramp

A Freeport woman was taken to Maine Medical Center this morning after a crash at Exit 20 northbound on Interstate 295.

Elizabeth Toothaker, 32, was getting off the highway at 7:19 a.m. when she tried to merge onto Desert Road and hit the back of a tandem tractor-trailer truck, police said.

Toothaker was extricated from the Jeep she was driving and taken to the hospital complaining of pain, police said.

The exit ramp was closed for about an hour.


Police say Standish woman, 24, robbed CVS pharmacy

A 24-year-old woman has been arrested in the robbery of drugs from a CVS pharmacy in June.

Randa L. Nason of River Road in Standish was arrested early Monday morning, police said. They allege Nason stole about 400 OxyContin pills from the Biddeford pharmacy on June 25.

Nason was to be arraigned Tuesday, police said, and be charged with a class B robbery, which calls for a sentence of five to 10 years.

Woman faces OUI charge after hitting man with car

A Biddeford woman was charged with drunken driving Tuesday after she allegedly backed into a 65-year-old Arundel man while he was gassing up at an Alfred Street convenience store.

Angela M. Clarke, 36, of 53 Pool St., is charged with operating under the influence of alcohol, said Deputy Police Chief JoAnne Fisk.

The incident happened shortly before 2 p.m., when Clarke was backing up at the 7-Eleven at 66 Alfred St., Fisk said.
The man was pinned between his car and her 2007 Subaru Imprezza, Fisk said.

He was transported to Southern Maine Medical Center for evaluation. No additional information about his condition was available.

Clarke was transported to York County Jail, where she was being held on $500 bail. She has no prior OUI charges, Fisk said.


Methadone clinic operator charged with having cocaine

The licensed operator of the Turning Tide Methadone Clinic was charged with cocaine possession Tuesday after drug agents saw her participate in a drug deal, according the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Angel Fuller-McMahan, 42, of Owls Head, was arrested around 10:45 a.m. after police stopped her 2000 Ford Escort while she was driving along New County Road.

Agents with the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency made the arrest, assisted by officers from the Rockland Police Department, Knox County Sherriff’s Office and Maine State Police.

Drug agents arrested Fuller-McMahan after they saw her participating in a drug deal in a private parking lot along New County Road, said Roy McKinney, director of the MDEA.

Agents seized Fuller-McMahan’s car, about an ounce of cocaine that was hidden in her pants and some hypodermic needles, McKinney said. The street value of the cocaine is about $2,500.

She was taken to the Knox County Jail in Rockland and has been freed on $5,000 unsecured bail pending an Aug. 25 appearance in Rockland Superior Court.

McMahan was arrested by MDEA in 1997 and convicted of possessing heroin, according to police.


Suspect in triple slaying hears charges against him 

The man who is charged in the killings of two men and a 10-year-old boy in the northern town of Amity has made his initial court appearance.

Thayne Ormsby heard the charges against him during the brief hearing Tuesday by means of video conference before Superior Court Justice Allen Hunter in Caribou.

Ormsby, 20, who’s being held in the Aroostook County Jail, is facing three counts of murder in the deaths of Jeffrey Ryan, his son Jesse and Jason Dehahn, a friend and neighbor, in Amity.

A lawyer represented him at the hearing. The Attorney General’s Office says arrangements are being made for a permanent court-appointed lawyer. Ormsby is scheduled to be arraigned on July 21.


Photos of fire on Facebook lead to felony arson charge

A Belfast man is facing charges he set a Mercedes-Benz on fire and then posted photos of the burning vehicle on Facebook.

Belfast police say 36-year-old Asgard Tarick Gilbert was arrested Monday on a felony arson charge.

The arrest came two weeks after police found the 1982 Mercedes burning on River Avenue, the Bangor Daily News said.

Police say Gilbert told officers he he had seen the car with a “small campfire” burning in the back seat.

The charge came after police scrutinized surveillance tape from a Belfast store and seized Gilbert’s cell phones and computer, the Bangor Daily News said.

Police say the owner of the non-working car had been trying to sell it.


Military breaks ground on recruiting station at shipyard

Construction is set to begin on a $4 million U.S. Army recruiting facility at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

Once construction is finished, the U.S. Army’s New England Recruiting Battalion headquarters will move into the 11,000-square-foot building.

Military officials held a groundbreaking ceremony Monday for the facility, The Portsmouth Herald reported.

The recruiting battalion had been based at the Brunswick Naval Air Station, which is being closed by the Navy.

The facility will be responsible for handling the administration duties of 38 Army recruiting companies in Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts.


None hurt as small blast lifts utility manhole cover

An underground power line failure probably caused a small explosion that lifted a utility manhole cover on Commercial Street on Tuesday afternoon, according to a Central Maine Power Co. spokesman.

The explosion near 468 Commercial St. was reported to police shortly after 4 p.m., said Nicole Clegg, spokesman for the city of Portland.

Portland firefighters responded and found no fire and no injuries in the area, Clegg said. CMP workers arrived later to fix the power line failure, which caused no customer outages, the CMP spokesman said.

Man with knife steals cash from Forest Ave. car wash

Police are investigating an armed robbery that happened at the ScrubaDub auto wash at 1185 Forest Ave. on Tuesday night.

Police said a white man in his 20s entered the car wash around 8 p.m. carrying a knife. He demanded cash from the register and fled with an undisclosed amount of money.

Car wash employees said the robber had a mustache and a tuft of hair on his lower lip. He was wearing jeans and a two-toned hooded sweat shirt.

No one was injured. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 874-8533.


Coast Guardsman with ties to Maine dies in copter crash

Gov. John Baldacci ordered flags lowered to half-staff for the funeral of a Coast Guard helicopter commander killed in a crash.

Lt. Sean D. Krueger of Seymour, Conn., was killed along with two others when the MH-60 Jayhawk went down on July 7 about 100 miles west of Seattle. The Alaska-based crew was flying home from Oregon. One crew member survived.

Krueger, the helicopter’s commander, attended Massabesic High School in Waterboro, Maine, and leaves behind a wife and three children.

On Tuesday, the Coast Guard commandant, Adm. Robert J. Papp, will attend the memorial service for the three men in Sitka, Alaska.