PORTLAND — A 44-year-old Windham man made his first appearance in court today on a charge of murder.

Joseph Green is accused of shooting and killing 40-year-old David Harmon, also of Windham, on Green’s property on Aug. 31.

Police say Harmon had gone to Green’s property early that morning with the intent of stealing marijuana that was growing there, and that Green shot Harmon with a handgun to protect his crop.

Green was not asked to enter a plea during his brief appearance before Superior Court Justice Roland Cole. He was ordered to be held without bail at least until his court-appointed attorney, Jon Gale, requests a bail hearing. Gale told the judge that he has only seen a single police affidavit and he needs more information from investigators before seeking a bail hearing.

The affidavit was not immediately available following the 1 p.m. appearance.

12:46 a.m.

A 44-year-old Windham man was charged Tuesday night with the shooting death of David Harmon, also of Windham, in what police said was a confrontation involving the theft of marijuana.

Joseph P. Green of 38 Roosevelt Trail was arrested around 7 p.m. at his mother’s home in Casco and charged with murdering Harmon, 40, whose body was found Aug. 31 on Green’s property.

Harmon was last seen by his wife when she dropped him off at 5:15 a.m. Aug. 31 at the corner of Land of Nod Road and Cole Road. His body was found later that night at the base of an 8-foot ledge just north of there.

Melissa Harmon told Windham police that her husband planned to check out hunting sites. But Maine State Police said Tuesday that Green shot Harmon as he was trying to steal marijuana growing on Green’s property.

Lt. Brian McDonough, head of detectives for the state police in southern Maine, said evidence found near Harmon’s body linked him to Green’s property.

“He was killed on the property, then Green moved the body up to the (Central Maine Power) pole line” but not off his property, McDonough said.

Police said there apparently had been thefts of Green’s marijuana the night before Harmon was shot.

“The real motivation for the killing appears to be protection of marijuana on the property,” McDonough said.

State police spokesman Steve McCausland said it wasn’t a large growing operation. He said Melissa Harmon knew about her husband’s intention to steal Green’s marijuana.

“She hasn’t been charged at this point,” McCausland said. “We haven’t made that decision yet.”

An autopsy by the state Medical Examiner’s Office showed that Harmon died from a “through-and-through wound consistent with a gunshot,” and the death was ruled a homicide.

A handgun believed to have been used in the shooting was recovered. The gun and other items seized last week during a search of Green’s property were taken to the state police crime lab in Augusta.

A corrections officer at the Cumberland County Jail said Green arrived at about 7:50 p.m. Tuesday night and was denied bail.

Green, who was once a heavy equipment operator, will likely make his first court appearance either today or Thursday.

Harmon’s funeral service was held Tuesday afternoon. His mother-in-law, Janet Snow, learned of Green’s arrest about an hour after he was taken into custody.

“Thank God,” Snow said. “I’m just thankful and I hope justice is done.”


Staff Writer Melanie Creamer can be contacted at 791-6361 or at: [email protected]