BRUNSWICK — A second man was arrested last week in connection with an ongoing investigation involving the assault and stabbing of a 26-year-old man at his home on Stanwood Street.

Manessah Massaline, 40, of 17 Federal St. was arrested without incident at 9:30 a.m., Sept. 24, after an investigation led police to a High Street residence in Bath.

The following day, Topsham Police filed charges of robbery, elevated aggravated assault and kidnapping against both men stemming from an incident that had reportedly occurred the night of Sept. 18.

Police Cmdr. Marc Hagan said Massaline was charged Sept. 24 with aggravated criminal trespass, burglary, elevated aggravated assault and aggravated attempted murder. Bath Police and the Sagadahoc Sheriff’s Dept. assisted in the investigation and arrest.

Massaline is the second person arrested following an alleged assault on Sept. 20 that left the victim with a stab wound to the chest caused by a knife, multiple fractures and a head injury.

Hagan declined to identify the victim, but said he was treated and released at Maine Medical Center in Portland. He said another person was in the room with the victim and witnessed the alleged assault. Hagen declined comment about a motive, saying the case remains under investigation.

On Sept. 22, Paul McClain, 41, of 1268 Washington St., Bath, was arrested and charged with attempted murder, burglary, elevated aggravated assault, attempted robbery and criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon.

The case led to the two men being connected to an earlier incident, which took place the night of Sept. 18 at a residence on Main Street in Topsham.

A 33-year-old Brunswick man sustained cuts and swelling to his face and was allegedly held against his will, according to Topsham Police Lt. Chris Lewis. The victim, who was robbed of prescription medications, was later treated at Parkview Adventist Medical Center and released, Lewis said.

Massaline and McClain were charged by Topsham Police with robbery, elevated aggravated assault and kidnapping.

Both men remained in custody at Cumberland County Jail in Portland as of Wednesday. McClain’s bail was set at $1,000 cash or $10,000 in property, while Massaline’s was set at $250,000 cash or $500,000 in property. They are both scheduled to appear in court in December.

Hagan said both men have a criminal history.

According to Detective Sgt. Martin Rinaldi’s report, police arrested Massaline after they conducted a surveillance operation. Rinaldi said the Maine Violent Crimes Task Force and Maine Drug Enforcement Agency assisted with the investigation and members of the Violent Crimes Task Force were at the scene for the arrest.

Alex Lear contributed to this story. Phil Di Vece can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 123 or [email protected]

Sidebar Elements



filed under: