NASHUA, N.H. – A New Hampshire teenager charged in a deadly home invasion testified Thursday he heard the victims’ screams and pleas before two of his partners started hacking at the mother and daughter.

Quinn Glover, 18, said the mother screamed to her daughter to run.

“They were terrified,” Glover said. “I heard cries for help, begging, ‘no, no.’“

Glover testified against co-defendant Steven Spader, 18, who prosecutors say wielded the machete in the attacks that killed Kimberly Cates and severely wounded her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie, in their Mont Vernon home one year ago.

Glover said Spader was obsessed with killing people in the weeks before the attacks.

Spader, he testified, wanted to break into homes, kill the occupants, stay overnight in the home, roast and eat the victims and stage their bodies for the media. He talked at one point about putting victims’ heads on stakes, Glover said.

Glover previously pleaded guilty to robbery, burglary and conspiracy. He agreed to cooperate in exchange for a 20-year prison sentence.

On cross-examination, Glover acknowledged he lied to police in his first two interviews. He concocted several alibis, first that he was meditating in woods and later that he was watching television with his father. He said he was telling the truth Thursday.

Spader is charged with murder, attempted murder and other felonies.

As Glover testified, Spader stared at him with his fingers pressed in front of him — his standard pose during the trial.

After they broke into the Cates’ house, Glover said, the four approached the closed bedroom door. He said Spader had a machete and Gribble had a knife. He said they entered the bedroom.

Then the screams began.

“I heard screams and cries. I heard ‘Jaimie, run! Please don’t do it,’” Glover testified.

Glover said he turned around, covered his ears and walked back toward the kitchen. Prosecutor Peter Hinckley asked him why.

“I walked away because I wanted to walk away from the situation,” Glover said. “I didn’t take anything that was said prior seriously. That was my mistake.”

Afterward, Glover said, Spader was “euphoric, excited. He seemed like he had just gotten off a roller coaster.”

Glover said he did not see the attacks, but entered the room later. He said he saw Jaimie crumpled on the floor.

Jaimie told police she pretended to be dead, then staggered to the kitchen to call police. A doctor testified that if she had not gotten help, she would have died from a punctured lung.

“On the bed, there was a woman covered in blood,” Glover said. “She was moving somewhat and moaning.” He said he saw Gribble put a knife to the right side of her throat. Glover said he turned away, and when he looked back, the knife was on the other side of Kimberly Cate’s throat.

Glover admitted on cross-examination by defense attorney Andrew Winters that he went to the house with the intent of killing the occupants, and that he was fascinated by killers such as Charles Manson.

The prosecutor asked Glover if he had attacked either victim, and he answered “no.”

Glover said Spader was still euphoric 12 hours after the attacks. He said Spader and Gribble showed up in his driveway and Spader grabbed him by the shoulders.

“He … said, ‘Quinn, we broke up a family. Isn’t that great?’” Glover testified. “He said it may become an addiction because he liked the high so much.”

Marks, who hasn’t entered a plea, has agreed to testify against Spader and Gribble, who is to go on trial in February. Defendent Autumn Savoy, pleaded guilty to hindering prosecution and conspiracy in exchange for a 5- to 19-year sentence. He is expected to testify against Spader.