BANGOR  — Officials are blaming a malfunctioning heating unit for a gas leak at a Bangor beauty school that resulted in seven people seeking hospital treatment.

Officials said the victims were treated at Eastern Maine Medical Center and St. Joseph Hospital and released after Tuesday morning’s gas leak at Empire Beauty School.

According to the Bangor Daily News, several students complained of nausea and lightheadedness, but nobody reported being seriously ill.

Assistant Fire Chief Daryl Cyr said the leak was traced to a heating unit on the roof of the school.

School spokeswoman Angela Watson said the school was scheduled to reopen Wednesday.