BANGOR – One goal wasn’t enough for the Brunswick boys’ soccer team. But one goal provided plenty of momentum for Bangor.

And the Rams’ second goal? That dictated the outcome.

Luke Hetterman’s goal in the second overtime Wednesday gave the Rams a 2-1 victory over Brunswick in the Eastern Class A championship game.

“I saw Phil (Frost) and he was making a great run down the side,” said Hetterman, who scored at close range against Brunswick goalie Seth Holmblad. “There was nobody there and he couldn’t have put it in a better spot. We just have to kick to a side and finish.”

Bangor, the top seed in Eastern Class A, will face Portland on Saturday for the state title. The Rams will play in their third state final since 2006.

Hetterman’s goal, which beat Holmblad (11 saves) at 4:24 of the second overtime, ended a game in which the Rams rallied from a one-goal deficit late in regulation, then put pressure on the Dragons throughout overtime.

“In the first overtime we were able to do what we wanted to do,” Brunswick Coach Peter Gardner said. “I think what happened is that the game started to open up, and it’s going to do that because it’s the same kids on the field, so they may be a step shorter.

“And I think (the defenders) focused on Phil Frost and lost track of where the other guy was, and (Hetterman) got himself in position to finish a nice shot.”

Rallying from a 1-0 deficit, Hetterman said, was the biggest challenge.

“We haven’t really done that this year,” he said. “We haven’t done it enough this season.”

After a scoreless first half in which Bangor had a 5-4 advantage in shots, the No. 3 Dragons (13-4) took a 1-0 lead when Rodrigo Cepeda took a through pass from Will Bann and beat Bangor goalie Jesse Perkins (11 saves).

But throughout the second half, the Rams (16-0-1) continued to pressure the defense and with 6:23 left in regulation, Seth Freudenberger scored off Adam King’s throw-in deep in Brunswick’s defensive end to send the game to sudden-death overtime.

“When you throw a ball in a space like that, you try to create confusion and disruption,” Gardner said. “When you do something like that, you provide an opportunity for a ball that bounces all over the place.

“What happened on that goal down there is that they got themselves tight and to the front. It allowed the ball to be skipped on the back, and we weren’t in position in the back to help (Holmblad) take care of it.”

The teams combined for five shots on goal in the first overtime. In the second overtime, the Rams put early pressure on the Dragons, ultimately setting up Hetterman’s score.

“That’s extremely important,” Hetterman said of the second overtime. “When it comes down to 110, 120 minutes, one team’s going to get tired and you’ve just got to push through it, and that’s what our team did.”

Staff Writer Rachel Lenzi can be contacted at 791-6415 or at:

[email protected]