FAIRFIELD – A man who was charged recently in connection with the burglary of a convenience store called police Saturday night after he said a car pulled up and the driver shot him.

Erik D. Powers, 20, of Fairfield suffered a gunshot “flesh wound” to the shoulder and was treated at a Waterville hospital, police said. Fairfield police said Sunday they had no suspects in the shooting.

Police received the call about 7:50 p.m. from Powers, who called from his cell phone while on Western Avenue.

According to Police Chief John Emery, Powers told police he had been walking on nearby Gilbreth Street when a small white car pulled up beside him. Inside were two men wearing black hats and bandanas, and they asked what his name was, Powers told police.

Powers “apparently doesn’t know if they were looking for him or someone else,” Emery said. “He said the driver pulled out a revolver and pointed it at his chest, and as he turned to run a shot was fired, striking him in the arm/shoulder area.”

Powers told police he ran to Western Avenue, where he called police.

There were apparently no witnesses to the shooting.

“The car sped away; he didn’t see which direction,” Emery said. “He did not know them and couldn’t think of anyone that had an issue with him.”

Powers was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center’s Thayer Campus in Waterville, where he was treated and released later that night, Emery said.

Powers was recently charged in connection with burglary and theft at Damon’s Beverage Mart.

Police said Powers threw a rock through the window of the convenience store around 3:15 a.m. Nov. 7, activating an alarm. Police arrived one minute later and found a couple of cartons of cigarettes in the parking lot outside the building.

After receiving information from an anonymous tipster, police found and arrested Powers the next day at a friend’s house on Newhall Street, next door to where he lives. Police said Powers admitted to robbing the store and said he planned to sell the cigarettes.

Powers is scheduled to appear in Somerset County Superior Court on Dec. 8.

Emery said the investigation into the shooting would continue and asked anyone with information to contact the Police Department at 453-9321.