Correction: This story was revised at 11:10 a.m., Dec. 23, 2010, to correct the name of Falmouth’s goalie. It was Dane Pauls.

BIDDEFORD – Matt MacDowell jammed in a rebound with 2.8 seconds left in regulation Wednesday night to help Falmouth gain a 2-2 tie with Biddeford in a Western Class A boys’ hockey game at the Biddeford Ice Arena.

The Tigers (1-0-2) seemed headed to a victory before MacDowell scored his late unassisted goal.

“Give Falmouth credit, they earned it,” Biddeford Coach Rich Reissfelger said. “They played their butts off all game. We had chances to put them away and we didn’t. We let them hang around and they’re too good a team for us to do that.”

MacDowell’s goal came about a minute after Falmouth Coach Adam Nicholas pulled goalie Dane Pauls in favor of a sixth skater.

“In our kids’ defense, we haven’t run a six-on-five this year,” Reissfelger said.

“That’s the first time we’ve been in that situation. Anytime you know the net’s empty, you always try to do too much, try to cover too many guys or too much ice. We let one of their best players get loose with the puck at the top of the slot and we can’t do that in that situation.”

“To be honest with you, a tie is not always a great thing,” Nicholas said. “It’s two in a row now. The first one we should have won, and tonight I thought we had some opportunities we should have cashed in on. But we’ve got a young team. We were a little nervous at first but we battled through it.”

Last Saturday night, the Yachtsmen (1-0-2) settled for a 4-4 tie against Brewer at home after leading by three goals in the third period.

Biddeford opened the season Dec. 12 with a 2-2 tie against Lewiston at home.

The Tigers opened the scoring eight minutes into the game when defenseman Eric Grover put in a rising shot from the left point for a power-play goal.

Less than seven minutes into the second period, Kris Samaras made it 1-1 by scoring on a breakaway after stealing the puck just outside his own blue line and outracing Biddeford defenseman James Jamieson down the ice.

With less than five minutes left in the second period, Biddeford goalie Tyler Morton, who made 27 saves, stopped Samaras on another breakaway while the Tigers were on a power play.

With less than six minutes left in regulation, Biddeford took a 2-1 lead when Tyler Audie’s shot from the left circle trickled in between the Falmouth goalie’s pads.

Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at:

[email protected]