SOUTH PORTLAND — A man arrested in connection with two robberies and an attempted robbery within a 24-hour period is currently being held on $50,000 cash bail.

Portland Police Lt. Gary Rogers said in a press release that 45-year-old Howard Gribbin was arrested on Tuesday evening after he allegedly robbed the Bank of America on Forest Avenue.

Rogers said Gribbin allegedly entered the bank at around 2:45 p.m. and demanded cash after telling the teller he had a gun. He fled the bank in an ABC taxi with an undisclosed amount of cash, Rogers said.

Police contacted the cab company and learned the vehicle was headed to Weymouth Street.

Rogers said, when officers located Gribbin, he refused to remove his hands in his pockets and told police to shoot him, because he had a gun. Police used a Taser to bring him into custody, he said.

Gribbin, who has no permanent address, was treated for minor injuries at Maine Medical Center.

As of Wednesday afternoon, he was being held at Cumberland County Jail on $50,000 cash bail.

Gribbin was also wanted in connection with incidents at two South Portland supermarkets.

South Portland police Sgt. Steve Webster said Gribbin allegedly entered the Hannaford store around 11 a.m. Tuesday and demanded cash, but left without getting any money.

Police said Gribbin allegedly robbed the Shaw’s in Mill Creek at around 6 p.m. on Monday.

After walking the length of the store, Gribbin walked up to a clerk and said he was robbing the store. He mentioned a gun, but never displayed it, Webster said, and got away with an unknown amount of money.

Webster said no one was physically harmed during either robbery.

Randy Billings can be reached at 781-3661 ext. 100 or [email protected]

Sidebar Elements

Portland arrested 45-year-old Howard Gribbin in connection with a robbery at Shaw’s supermarket in Mill Creek on Monday night and an attempted robbery on Tuesday at the Hannaford supermarket near the Maine Mall.

A security camera at the Shaw’s supermarket at Mill Creek in South Portland captured this image of Howard Gribbin as he entered the store on Monday night.

Facebook comments

filed under: