Last Wednesday’s boys’ basketball game between Portland and South Portland started out slowly with little scoring, but a series of spurts by both clubs set the tone for the rest of the game, which ended in an 80-71 triple-overtime victory for Portland.

The Bulldogs, now 6-4 after beating Kennebunk on Saturday, scored six straight points early in the game. South Portland (8-2) closed the quarter with seven straight to taken an 11-8.

The Bulldogs outscored South Portland 20-10 in the second quarter, sparked by a 6-0 run.

After a basket by South Portland’s Matt Russell to open the second half, a 9-0 run put Portland in command, but only briefly. The Riots used a 9-0 run of their own to get back into it.

Then it was the Bulldogs’ turn, and a 10-0 run from the end of the third quarter to early in the fourth extended Portland’s lead to 14.

South Portland followed with the biggest run of the game, getting 14 straight points to tie it.

The three overtimes featured big shot after big shot. Portland’s Mike Herrick made two 3-pointers in the second overtime, the second at the buzzer, and the Bulldogs finally took control for good in the third overtime.

Herrick finished with 32 points, including 15 after regulation.

Another game like that might not happen again this season, but we can still hope.

THE SOUTH PORTLAND girls are getting a huge boost from senior center Abby Hasson, who is averaging 15.9 points and 10.9 rebounds.

Hasson missed much of last year with a back injury. And when she returned, she was hindered by a stiff back brace that limited her mobility.

“She’s playing well and the kids are seeing her and getting the ball inside,” said Coach Mike Giordano. “And she’s doing a great job at the foul line.”

Hasson had a career-high 31 points, along with 15 rebounds, in a 63-54 win over Portland on Wednesday. She hit a 3-pointer and was 12 for 14 at the foul line.

The 6-foot Hasson is simply happy to be healthy.

“It’s nice, I’m not going to lie about it,” she said. “It feels good to be back without a big shell on my back.”

THE GREELY GIRLS’ hockey team experienced the highs and lows of overtime last week.

The Rangers beat Falmouth 1-0 in overtime Monday on Monica Howland’s rebound goal, assisted by Etta Copenhagen. Greely outshot the Yachtsmen, 33-13.

Against Scarborough on Saturday, Greely again dominated the shots, 31-17, but Abby Rutt’s goal in overtime gave the Red Storm a 1-0 win.

Greely is 8-3-1 and ranked third in the East.

SCARBOROUGH IMPROVED to 12-1-2 in girls’ hockey, with a 14-game unbeaten string. That streak will be challenged this afternoon when St. Dominic Academy (12-1) visits for a 3 p.m. game at the University of Southern Maine rink.

IN BOYS’ HOCKEY, Biddeford, Lewiston and St. Dom’s feature the best teams in the state.

Biddeford improved to 7-0-2 on Saturday with a 5-3 win over St. Dom’s (8-3). The Saints’ other two losses are to Lewiston.

Brady Fleurent and Bryan Dallaire, who have combined for 23 goals, scored two apiece against St. Dom’s. Scott Callahan added a short-handed goal as the Saints struggled on the power play (1 for 8).


— Staff Writers Tom Chard, Mike Lowe and Kevin Thomas contributed to this report.