WINSLOW — A man was arrested twice within two hours by the same officer Sunday night on drunken-driving charges, police said.

Robert P. Davis, 48, of 90 Catfish Corner Road was taken to the Kennebec County Jail in Augusta, where he was being held without bail Monday afternoon.

Winslow officer Haley Fleming said the first arrest happened while he was on routine patrol. Fleming said he pulled over a 2002 Volvo heading east on Route 137/China Road for a minor license plate infraction at 8:10 p.m. Sunday.

Fleming determined that the driver, Davis, was intoxicated and took him to the police station. Davis submitted to a Breathalyzer test, which showed his blood-alcohol level was .21 — nearly three times the legal limit of .08.

Davis was charged with operating under the influence of alcohol and was released from the station on $1,000 unsecured bail. Fleming said he then drove Davis to his residence.

“I watched him walk in the front door of the house, and I observed an older truck parked in the driveway,” Fleming said.

Fleming left, stopped his cruiser down the road and looked up the vehicle’s information — a 1998 Dodge truck with a small plow that belonged to Davis.

Then, at 10:27 p.m., Fleming said he noticed the truck driving toward him.

“I watched it park on the side of the road and saw Robert get out from the driver’s seat and check his mail, then get back in; he was wearing the same clothes,” Fleming said. “I conducted another motor vehicle stop and obviously it was a mathematical certainty he was still under the influence.”

Davis was taken back to the police station and his blood-alcohol level was .16, twice the legal limit.

Davis was charged with a second count of operating under the influence, plus violating his conditions of release. Both of Davis’s vehicles were towed and impounded, Fleming said.

Fleming said David offered an explanation as to why he went driving again after his first arrest: “He said he was just going down the road to get cigarettes and check his mail,” Fleming said. “He regretted it, but he was rather upset with me and thought I was waiting for him. I wasn’t, and told him you couldn’t hold anyone accountable but himself.”

Davis was arraigned from the jail Monday afternoon. According to a jail spokesman, Davis would be held without bail until he obtains a supervised release contract.