NORWAY — A wood products manufacturing plant has been destroyed by fire in western Maine.

The fire at the Oxford Pine Products facility in Norway was reported just after 4 a.m. today. Fire crews from 10 towns had the fire under control by midmorning, but not before flames gutted the building.

Owner Timothy Paul told WCSH-TV the building and the materials inside were a total loss and were not insured.

Fire Chief Dennis Yates said the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction and started in the plant’s finishing room where paints and lacquers are stored.

The family-owned company has been in business since 1977, making wood products ranging from wine racks and pet dishes to bookcases and dressers.

It’s not clear how many people worked there.