3:15 p.m.

A Saco man told a detective that he and Elena Lozada did drugs together and that he left her in Northport after she died of an overdose, Portland police said this afternoon.

Nathaniel Pete Mincher, 36, told police he met up with Lozada on Congress Street on July 10 and that she died a short time later, Portland Police Chief James Craig said. Lozada’s remains were discovered in a wooded area in Northport off Route 52 that Mincher described to police.

Craig said that the police investigation remains active. Police are appealing to the public for information about Mincher and Lozada.

Craig described Mincher as a person of interest. He is not in custody, and police have been in regular contact with him, Craig said.

York County Sheriff’s deputies came into contact with Mincher while investigating a disabled vehicle complaint on Feb. 11. Mincher told them he had information about Lozada and wanted to speak to a Portland detective.

Authorities searched the area in Northport two days later but were unable to locate Lozada’s remains. Several feet of snow covered the area and police were unable to conduct a thorough search until the snow melted. They returned twice in April and recovered remains then.

Police can accept anonymous tips by text message, through the Internet or over the phone. Mobile phone users can text the keyword “GOTCHA” along with their messages to 274637 (CRIMES).  Tips can also be submitted through the Portland Police Department’s website: www.portland-police.com by clicking “Submit an Anonymous Crime Tip.” Phone messages can be left at 874-8584.

10:55 a.m.

PORTLAND — Police are holding a news conference this afternoon to discuss developments in their investigation into the death of Elena Lozada.

Police consider her death suspicious. The remains of the 24-year-old Portland woman were discovered in a wooded area of Northport, in Waldo County, in April.

Lozada’s mother, Carrie Cronkite of Westfield, had reported her missing in July after not hearing from her for an unusually long period of time. Their last conversation took place after Lozada completed a hospital drug rehabilitation program. Lozada told her mother she did not want to go into the follow-up residential treatment program and was planning to go to Boston.