BOOTHBAY — An overheated rider lawn mower is suspected of starting a fire that destroyed a garage on Wiscasset Road this afternoon.

Fire Chief Richard Spofford said the homeowner, Frank Redman, had just finished mowing his lawn and had placed the mower inside the garage when the fire started around 4 p.m.

The garage and all the items inside, including a 20-foot powerboat and three kayaks, were destroyed.

Spofford said the fire spread from the garage to a wooded area at the rear of the property, but firefighters were able to prevent the fire from penetrating very far into the woods. Redman’s home was not damaged.