BOISE, Idaho – A former Idaho professor who killed himself after gunning down a graduate student he had recently dated was found dead in his hotel room with six guns and medications for bipolar disorder and severe anxiety, police said.

The confirmation of reports that Ernesto Bustamante suffered from mental disorders and owned a stockpile of weapons was among the new details that emerged with the release Friday of two statements, one from police and the other from university officials, offering the results of investigations into the case.

Katy Benoit, 22, was shot 11 times with a .45-caliber handgun outside her northern Idaho home late Monday. Benoit’s romantic relationship with the University of Idaho professor had recently ended after he displayed violent tendencies, including threatening her life multiple times, police said.


Benoit met Bustamante, 31, last fall when she took a psychology course he was teaching, and by the end of the semester they were dating. The relationship ended in May, after he put a gun to her head and told her how he would use it to kill her. She told others he had threatened her with a gun twice before.

Bustamante had been known to alternately refer to himself as a “psychopathic killer” and “the beast,” according to police.

After the couple split, Benoit alerted school officials that she was becoming increasingly concerned for her safety and filed a sexual harassment complaint with the university June 12. Bustamante denied the allegations and filed his own complaint against her July 8, claiming defamation of character.

School officials had contact with Benoit more than a dozen times to discuss the situation and urge her to take safety precautions. The final meeting came Monday, the same day police say Bustamante shot her on the back porch of her Moscow home.


Benoit’s roommates, Meghan Walker-Smith and Emma Gregory, were inside baking cookies and heard the shots. Gregory ran outside to find Benoit covered in blood. The roommates called 911, telling a dispatcher that they could think of only one person who could have fired the shots — Bustamante.

They said he’d recently been forced to resign from the university as a result of Benoit’s complaints and said that was the only reason they could imagine that their friend had been killed.

The university has confirmed only that Bustamante resigned effective last Friday. Police said Bustamante was in the process of moving to New Jersey, where he had secured another job.

Less than an hour after killing Benoit, Bustamante checked into a hotel room and shot himself in the head with a revolver, police said.

Authorities later found five other handguns, along with the revolver, in the room, as well as four different prescription medications used to treat severe anxiety, epilepsy, depression and bipolar disorder. Bustamante’s name was printed on all of the prescription bottles.

University officials maintain that they followed all proper procedures, including notifying police and urging Benoit to alert authorities, as well.

Police received a call from Benoit on June 10 after the university referred her to address safety concerns.


Moscow Police Lt. Dave Lehmitz said he advised Benoit of basic safety principles and told her to call back if there were any threatening or suspicious incidents. Two days later, the university says, Benoit emailed school officials to say she did not want Bustamante served with her complaint and wanted to discuss it further.

The university says Benoit was told July 6 her complaint had been sent to Bustamante and he had been told to stay away from her. The school contacted police July 14 concerning reports of inappropriate behavior by Bustamante toward Benoit, Lehmitz said.

Several attempts by law enforcement to later contact Benoit were unsuccessful, and the university informed the Moscow Police Department that she did not want the agency involved, Lehmitz said.