YARMOUTH – Facing an extremely difficult schedule during the first 10 days of the season, Cape Elizabeth got off to a great start Friday night.

Tim Lavallee and Macklin Sweeney each scored in the first 63 minutes to lead the Capers to a 2-1 victory over defending Class B state champion Yarmouth in a Western Maine Conference boys’ soccer opener.

“The win is going to be worth a bunch of (Heal) points to us as we move down the road,” Cape Elizabeth Coach Ben Raymond said. “Yarmouth is a great team. They’re going to win a bunch of games. It’s a great way to start the season.”

The Capers’ early schedule also includes Falmouth, York and Greely, and the win over the Clippers told Raymond they are ready for the challenge.

“It tells us the kids are listening and learning. They’re getting it,” he said.

“There were parts of the game where we got a little loose and we didn’t have as much possession as we would like to have, (but) we showed at times that we able to possess the ball, move it from side to side and isolate some guys.”

Lavallee scored in the 33rd minute with a nifty move out of the right corner, beating goalie Chris Knaub from 5 yards.

The Capers had the better scoring chances early.

“In the first half, Cape outplayed us,” Yarmouth Coach Mike Haggerty said. “They caught us off guard a little bit. But I liked the way we responded in the second half.”

Knaub, who had 13 shutouts last season, kept the Clippers in the game in the first half. He made diving saves on shots by Ian McInerny and Alex Bornick in the first 10 minutes before stopping Justin Cary’s point-blank shot 25 minutes in.

With less than two minutes left in the first half, the Capers had an opportunity to add to their lead. James Barlow sent a corner kick from the left side over Knaub’s head, but Sam Torres headed it away from the open net to prevent the score.

Less than four minutes into the second half, Sweeney made it 2-0 when his shot from the top of the block eluded Knaub’s grasp. McInerny drew an assist on the goal.

“Even after we gave up that second goal, I like the way we came back and really put the pressure on them,” Haggerty said.

“Our effort was back and I thought we played a little smarter and started moving forward.

“In the first half, they pressured us and we started retreating too much instead of stepping up and meeting them.”

With about 30 minutes left, Yarmouth’s Tommy Sullivan, after fighting off two defenders while sprinting up the field to get to Travis Hamre’s pass, bounced a shot past goalie Brett Parker for his first varsity goal.

Staff Writer Paul Betit can be contacted at 791-6424 or at:

[email protected]

Twitter: PaulBetitPPH