CUMBERLAND – Sammi Toorish scored the only goal of the game Monday night as Greely slipped past York 1-0 in a Western Maine Conference girls’ soccer game at Greely High School.

The goal extended Toorish’s season-opening, goal-scoring streak to four games, totaling six goals to help the Rangers to a 4-0 start.

The Wildcats (2-2) suffered their second straight one-goal loss.

Sara Schad set up the goal, which was scored 3:30 into the second half. The senior speedster was fouled just outside the box, leading to a free kick. Toorish sent the ball into the air, and the looping shot eluded everyone and found the bottom corner of the net.

“It was a second big test for us,” said Schad, who made numerous dangerous runs. “We’re trying to work on a new system and our defense played really well. Our offense sort of struggled getting the ball up top and in the net, but we had some good breakaways and some good shots. It just didn’t seem to come together quite as we had hoped.”

The goal came after a scoreless opening half that featured aggressive defensive play both ways, constantly thwarting numerous promising opportunities. Two of the best chances, one for each side, didn’t even result in a shot on goal.

York’s Kayla Swasey set up the first chance 20 minutes into the game when she found Olivia Leroux heading into prime scoring territory. But with defensive pressure bearing down, Leroux sent the ball well wide.

Six minutes later Schad stole the ball from the Wildcats’ defense. She distanced herself from defenders but her shot skidded wide of the far post.

“Sara’s one of the fastest players in the Western Maine Conference,” said Greely Coach Michael Kennedy. “She’s a warrior and a fantastic athlete. She really epitomizes what our team is about and sets an example for our younger kids when it comes to our style of play.”

Trailing by one and searching for the equalizer, York amped up its offensive desperation as the second half wore on. The continuous pressure led to numerous chances but failed to deliver a tying mark.

Abigail Goodrich provided two of the best chances. A lead pass from Swasey set up her first, which was eventually snuffed out by Greely goalkeeper Caton Beaulieu. Eleven minutes later Goodrich was at it again, somehow maneuvering away from a pair of defenders to set herself free but her shot sailed high and wide.