WINDHAM – In what was mostly an even matchup, the Windham girls’ soccer team dominated for a stretch of fewer than two minutes in the first half Wednesday night and came away with a 2-1 victory against Sanford in a Southern Maine Activities Association game.

The Eagles (9-3) scored two goals in the span of 1:42 and that would prove to be enough, against a relentless offense by Sanford (8-3-1) that had plenty of opportunities to tie the game.

Windham’s goals came from an unlikely source.

Jordan Symonds, usually a defender, scored both times after Coach Deb Lebel made some pivotal roster moves.

“We made a few adjustments because it looked like they had us marked up pretty well. A couple of different switches really made it happen,” said Lebel.

“Jordan wasn’t having her A game at defense so I put her up at offense just to see what she could do.”

The move paid off quickly when Symonds scored the first goal of the game with 11:58 to play in the first half.

The goal came off a rebound of a shot from the right side off the foot of freshman Jenna Soucy.

Symonds increased the Eagles’ lead to 2-0 when she headed in a centering pass from freshman Lauren Shoemaker.

A series of slick passing from several players got Shoemaker free on the left side of the field, and she then was able to run toward the goal line and send it in.

Lebel praised the work of her young players for playing active roles in both of Windham’s goals.

“We have a strong freshman group that really turned it on tonight,” said Lebel.

This stretch of the game made it seem as if Windham was a level above the caliber of Sanford, but the 78 other minutes were evenly matched, and if one team controlled the pace it was Sanford.

Sanford took five shots on goal in the second half compared to Windham’s one, and throughout the game seemed to be getting closer and closer to that elusive goal.

It finally did come with 5:56 to play.

After Hannah Kallis broke free in front of the Windham defense, she squeaked a pass by Windham goalie Amber Verrill. The ball was rolling toward the right post and looked as if it was going to go wide and out of bounds before Allison Legere desperately slid and kicked it in.

The last-ditch effort proved to be too little too late for Sanford as the buzzer sounded with the ball again deep in Windham territory.

Sanford Coach Kendra Brown took solace in the fact that she believed the goals her team allowed came from momentary mental lapses and should be easy to fix.

“We had to sub out one of our defenders and some people were in different positions,” said Brown.

“We made a couple of mistakes and I’m positive in the fact that it’s something we can work on and improve going into the playoffs.”

Each team has two games remaining in the regular season.