YARMOUTH – Madeline Lawrence scored twice to lead No. 5 Traip Academy to a 4-1 victory against No. 4 Freeport in a Western Class C field hockey quarterfinal Wednesday night.

Traip (8-7), which recovered from a season-opening 1-4 record, also bounced back from a 1-0 deficit in Wednesday’s game.

Katie Turner gave Freeport (8-7) a 1-0 lead with a great individual effort.

She stickhandled through the defense before beating goalie Emily Bolton at 8:50.

But Traip, which lost to Freeport twice in the regular season, answered 2:53 later when Kaylie Andrews scored off a corner.

“It definitely woke us up when they got the first goal, but from there on we just put it all out there,” said Andrews.

“We were definitely very confident coming into the game and we had a good mind-set to put everything out on the field. We played great throughout the game. We had nice teamwork and communication, and all in all that’s how we won.”

The Rangers built their lead to 3-1 when Lawrence scored twice in the final five minutes of the first half.

Her first goal came off a corner at 25:27.

Just 2:25 later she scored again, converting Andrews’ rebound after Freeport goalkeeper Tallie Martin had trouble finding the loose ball.

“It was definitely a tough loss,” said Freeport Coach Sara Dimick. “I think that we came out fighting and then we kind of lost our momentum when they scored.

“We had our moments but also a lot of mistakes as well and it’s hard to make up for those mistakes. It just didn’t go our way today.”

Freeport came out with a purpose in the second half and generated three good chances in the opening 15 minutes.

Turner created the best on another good run to the front of the goal.

She eluded all defenders as she moved in and released a shot that beat Bolton but was stopped on the way to the back of the goal by defender Shea Morrill.

After successfully withstanding the Falcons’ second-half surge, Traip took over for the final 10 minutes.

The Rangers kept the ball almost exclusively on Freeport’s side of the field, eventually leading to a final goal by Kendra Kagiliery with 19.4 seconds remaining.

“This was a good win because we really pushed it,” said Lawrence.

“We knew that we had a close game with them the last time we met (a 3-2 loss on Sept. 23) so we had to push it to play well. This time we definitely had more confidence.”