FALMOUTH – Senior quarterback Matt Kingry threw for three touchdowns, scored another and made a key interception as Falmouth rallied for a 31-30 victory over rival Greely in a Class B football game Friday night.

“This was amazing,” Kingry said. “We knew it was going to be a tough matchup and we just played our hearts out and fought back to the very end, even though we were down.”

Greely took a 23-17 lead into the fourth period and quickly added to it after senior running back Mike Leeman ran 38 yards for a first down at the Falmouth 2-yard line.

Two plays later, he trotted into the end zone and the Rangers had a 30-17 lead with 8:16 to play.

But after Falmouth (6-2) got the ball back, Kingry threw a screen pass to Ryan MacDonald, who dodged several tackles and ran 75 yards down the left sideline for a touchdown.

That pulled the Yachtsmen within 30-24 with 6:48 remaining.

Falmouth made stops on Greely’s next three plays and after Leeman kicked a high, 71-yard punt, Kingry fired an 89-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Aaron Rogers.

Sophomore Joe Goodrich kicked the extra point to put the Yachtsmen up 31-30 with 3:31 remaining.

Leeman returned the kickoff 31 yards to give the Rangers (5-3) good field position, but Kingry picked off a pass across the middle by Greely junior quarterback Drew Hodge to halt a comeback.

“That was high school football at it’s best,” Falmouth Coach John Fitzsimmons said. “It was a sensational football game.

“Greely is a terrific team. They run a magnificent triple option and you’re always concerned when they spread you across the field.

“We were tentative at first but when the boys finally let loose, we were able to step it up.”

In a game that was delayed by a 15-minute power outage, both teams committed several turnovers that resulted in numerous shifts in momentum.

Greely jumped out to 16-0 lead. Svenn Jacobson trotted in from 9 yards less than two minutes into the game.

Then Hodge threw a touchdown pass to junior wide receiver Nick Maynard.

Kingry helped drive the Yachtsmen down the field and scrambled 12 yards to set up a 2-yard score of his own.

He then tossed a 2-point conversion pass to junior Alex Derhagopian.

Kingry then threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jack Cooleen to cut the Greely’s lead to 16-14 heading into halftime.

Leeman intercepted a Kingry pass early in the third period and ran 90 yards on the next play for a score, putting his team up 23-14 before Falmouth’s fourth-quarter comeback.

Above all, Fitzsimmons was proud of his players’ heart.

“Greely came out and just put us on our heels,” he said.

“The times you learn about your team though are when you respond, and we responded in the biggest of ways tonight.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.