FALMOUTH — A chemical spill inside a home on Chester Avenue forced the town to close the street for about an hour today.

Falmouth Fire Chief Howard Rice said his department was called to 3 Chester Ave. around 4:10 p.m. after the home’s owner reported they had spilled a small glass container of malathion (pesticide) on the basement floor.

The homeowner said he accidentally knocked the container off the shelf – it was on the back of the shelf and had been out of sight for years – while he was cleaning the basement.

The Portland Fire Department’s hazardous materials team was called in to assist with the cleanup. A representative from the Maine Department of Environmental Protection also responded.

The home had to be ventilated and the owner was allowed to return after the fire department checked air quality levels. The street re-opened at 5:30 p.m.