YORK — Carter Furber was a dedicated teacher at York High School and a longtime basketball referee, who inspired generations of students in and out of the classroom.

A lifelong resident of York, he graduated from York High School in 1954 and went on to teach math there for nearly 30 years.

“He was a Mainer through and through,” said Bob Stevens, principal of York High School. “He was very loyal to his community and his school.”

He died on Monday. He was 74.

Mr. Furber was remembered by his family and colleagues Tuesday as a popular and hard-working teacher, who had a passion for math and brought out the best in his students.

“He was highly respected by the faculty and kids,” Stevens said. “He was honest and forthright and he always put the kids first.”

Outside of the classroom, Mr. Furber refereed high school basketball games throughout Cumberland and York counties for more than 10 years.

His wife, Carolyn Furber, reminisced Tuesday about the years she sat in the bleachers while he refereed the  games. She said he was a good athlete in his early years.

“He really loved the game of basketball,” his wife said. “He really loved to see the players play well.”

Mr. Furber’s career was put on hold in 1970 after doctors discovered a brain tumor that left him temporarily paralyzed on the left side. After a few months of physical and occupational therapy, he regained his strength and returned to teaching and refereeing basketball games.

In the summer months, Mr. Furber was a grounds maintenance supervisor for the former Historic Landmarks in York. He worked there for 20 years.

His wife said he worked alongside many of his students and got to know them on a personal level.
“He really cared about his students,” she said. “He wanted them to be successful.”

Mr. Furber and his wife were married for 48 years. She said they met at the University of New Hampshire. At the time, she was taking a summer course in English. He was taking a math course. She said they met playing bridge in a family room at the dormitory.

“He called me over and asked how he should play a hand,” his wife said, chuckling. “I think I told him what to bid. I don’t know whether he made it or not, but I got a date. It kind of took.”

She said they enjoyed traveling, playing golf and supporting York High School sports and activities.

Mr. Furber’s health began to decline seven or eight years ago. For the past few years, he had lived at Sentry Hill, a retirement community in York. He would have turned 75 years old Thursday.

“I miss him,” his wife said. “I’ll miss his companionship and doing things together. I still play golf. I’ll get out there and take my frustrations out of the golf course. Tomorrow is another day. I know he is better off where he is.”

Staff Writer Melanie Creamer can be contacted at 791-6361 or at [email protected]