LEWISTON — Ten people have been left homeless after a fire at a Lewiston apartment building.

Fire officials say the blaze was reported at the three-unit Pine Street building just before 6 p.m. on yesterday.

Fire Capt. Paul Fournier tells The Sun Journal that the blaze remains under investigation, but appears to be electrical in nature.

Resident Joshua Hickey Sr. says he had finished cooking dinner and started a pot of coffee when the lights went out. He took his 3-year-old son to the basement and reset the fuse box. When they got back to their third-floor apartment, it had filled with smoke. His wife and 2-year-old daughter were not home at the time.

The Red Cross is helping those displaced.

Everyone escaped the building safely.