Couple welcomes daughter who arrives right on time

Shutan Poissonier says she’d always been told to make a wish when the clock hits 11:11.

At 11:11 a.m. on 11/11/11, her wish for a healthy, happy baby came true. That’s when she delivered a 5-pound, 15-ounce girl, Azalea Marie.

“I couldn’t feel more blessed than to have her at 11:11,” Poissonier told The Associated Press. “That’s pretty lucky.”

When Poissonier, 19, of Sanford, arrived at H.D. Goodall Hospital early Friday, she joked with nurses that maybe her baby would arrive at 11:11 a.m. Her hunch was right.

The baby came a week earlier than expected, but no medications were used to induce birth, said Dr. Catherine Miele.

“It truly is a once-in-a-lifetime event; I will never see this happen again,” Miele said. “Azalea had a plan to make her arrival known.”

Poissonier’s fiance, 20-year-old Michael Gonzalez, was on hand for the delivery.


Police search for gunman who robbed game store

Brunswick police are searching for a man who robbed the GameStop at Merrymeeting Plaza at 1 a.m. after the highly anticipated midnight release of a new video game Friday.

Police say a man displayed what appeared to be a black semi-automatic handgun and ran off with an undisclosed amount of cash. Nobody was injured.

The man was described as white, 6 feet tall, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark leather jacket, faded blue jeans and dark athletic shoes.

The store had been open for the midnight release of a new fantasy video game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which caused many gamers to line up to buy copies as soon as it went on sale.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Brunswick police tip line at 725-6620, ext. 187.


Autopsy shows officer died from shots fired by warden

An autopsy has determined that a Rumford police officer who was fatally shot during an armed confrontation died from gunshot wounds from three rounds fired by a game warden.

Attorney General William Schneider said Friday that 46-year-old Eric Richard died as a result of three wounds he suffered when he was shot by Warden Jeremy Judd.

Richard was killed Thursday morning in a wooded area of Rumford. The Maine Warden Service and Maine State Police troopers with a tracking dog were helping Rumford police search for Richard, who was armed and had been reported as despondent.

Warden Service Col. Joel Wilkinson said Judd has been put on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.


Bath man is charged with embezzling from company

A Maine man has been charged with embezzling more than $59,000 from a family-owned construction company he worked for in West Bath.

The Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Department charged 56-year-old Dale Marshall of Bath with felony theft. Investigators said Marshall stole the money from excavating contractor J.R. Hill and Sons Inc., where he worked as office manager from 2007 until being let go earlier this year.

The Times Record of Brunswick said Marshall allegedly took money that was supposed to be used to pay the company’s vendors. He’s scheduled to appear in Sagadahoc County Superior Court in January.


Remains found in freezer will require further analysis

Maine State Police say remains of a woman found inside a freezer in a Lewiston storage unit last month will be sent out of state for additional analysis.

Authorities said DNA testing at the state police crime lab has been hampered by the condition of the remains that may be decades old, and a positive identification is still pending. The out-of-state work may take several weeks.

Police believe the remains discovered Oct. 22 are those of Kitty Wardwell. The storage unit was rented by her former boyfriend Frank Julian, who died Oct. 1 at age 80.

Julian told investigators he last saw Wardwell after an argument in 1983, when he dropped her off at a motel in Salem, N.H. Wardwell was 29 when Julian last saw her, and Julian was 51.


Couple fights town approval of wind turbine project

A Clifton couple is fighting the town’s approval of five energy-generating wind turbines.

The town’s Planning Board in June gave its approval for the project to erect the 308-foot-tall turbines on Pisgah Mountain. The project could provide electricity to as many as 4,000 Maine homes.

Peter and Julie Beckford say the noise from the turbines would be easily heard on their nearby flower farm. The couple has filed an appeal with the town to have the project’s permit revoked.

Developer Paul Fuller told WCSH-TV that he has met all the town’s requirements and pointed out that the Beckfords live about 5,000 feet from the turbine site — nearly a mile. Fuller said he hopes to have a foundation laid by the end of the year.


Westbrook man ordered into psychiatric hospital

A former police officer who pleaded guilty to molesting a young girl has been ordered by a judge to check into a psychiatric hospital before he is sentenced.

Steven Goozey of Westbrook was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday in Franklin County Superior Court but instead was ordered to Riverview Psychiatric Center in Augusta. The Sun Journal reports that sentencing was postponed.

The 39-year-old Goozey pleaded guilty last month to 10 counts of unlawful sexual contact with a child under 12.

Prosecutors say the crimes occurred between June 2006 and May 2010, and that Goozey told the victim she would go to jail if she told anyone what happened.

Goozey worked for the Carrabassett Valley Police Department for three months in 2010. He was fired for unrelated reasons.