Suspicious package forces evacuation of several offices

Several offices in downtown Portland had to be evacuated Monday afternoon after workers in a federal Social Security office reported a suspicious package to authorities.

Deputy Fire Chief David Jackson said the package, a large brown envelope, was stained and appeared to be leaking. But when members of the Fire Department’s HazMat team opened the envelope all they found was some paperwork and a compact disc.

Jackson said that shortly after 3:30 p.m., authorities evacuated the upper floors of the office building at One Portland Square. It is at the corner of Spring and Union streets.

Emergency personnel were at the scene for more than three hours, finally leaving around 7 p.m.

Jackson said the process took some time because the Police Department’s bomb squad had to make sure there were no explosives in the package. Firefighters then checked the package for biological or chemical substances.


N.Y. fugitive arrested at Occupy Maine encampment

A fugitive from New York, who is wanted in that state in connection with a robbery, was arrested at the Occupy Maine encampment in Lincoln Park over the weekend.

Robert Fecu, 26, of Brooklyn, N.Y., was being held at the Cumberland County Jail on Monday night on two counts of carrying a concealed weapon. His bail has been set at $500 cash.

Portland police Lt. Scott Pelletier said officers were called to the Occupy Maine encampment around 2:45 a.m. Saturday to investigate a report of a disturbance.

Fecu, who was involved in the disturbance, was taken into custody after officers discovered he was carrying a concealed knife. Fecu had been sleeping at the encampment.

Fecu had initially refused to tell police his name, telling them, “My name is Occupy Maine” and “Walter Lindy,” said Deputy District Attorney Meg Elam. Lindy is a real person, who is from New York – like the defendant – but is white, not black, she said.

After the jail ran his fingerprints, authorities discovered that Fecu was wanted in New York for robbery.


Hit-and-run accident sends local woman to hospital

The York County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a hit-and-run accident that resulted in a pedestrian being taken to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.H., on Monday afternoon.

Major William L. King Jr. said Michelle Rainaud, 42, of Lebanon was struck from behind while walking north on North Rochester Road in Lebanon.

Witnesses told police they noticed a green-colored, commercial van fleeing from the accident scene at a high rate of speed. The van had some type of advertising on its side.

Lebanon Fire and Rescue took Rainaud to the hospital. Her injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Anyone with information about the van or its driver is asked to contact the York County Sheriff’s Office at 324-1113. The incident took place around 3:30 p.m.


Occupy Bangor, city officials disagree over event permit

Occupy Bangor activists and city officials in Bangor remain at odds over the city’s demand that the activists file an event permit to continue demonstrating in a city park.

The city had reached a preliminary agreement with activists Friday that would end their encampment in Peirce Park but allow them to continue their activities. The group also was directed to remove canopies, structures and other items and to file a three-day renewable event permit.

But Lawrence Reichard, a member of Occupy Bangor, told the Bangor Daily News that his demonstrations are assemblies, not events. He also said the group hasn’t agreed about whether to approve the tentative deal he and two other representatives made with the city Friday.

“We think if we did take out an event permit, we would be conceding our position that we’re an assembly, not an event,” he said.

About two dozen activists have been demonstrating or camping at the park since Oct. 29.


Bar Harbor woman, USM grad is new Miss Maine USA

A University of Southern Maine graduate ready to start a marketing job next year is the new Miss Maine USA. Rani Williamson of Bar Harbor took home the title Sunday night after a two-day competition.

Participants were judged on poise, style and performance in the swim wear, evening wear and interview contests during the pageant at the Westbrook Performing Arts Center.

With her victory, Williamson is eligible to participate in the Miss USA pageant next June.

Greely High School junior Molly Fitzpatrick was crowned Miss Teen Maine.