11:28 p.m.

Portland police made another arrest at the Occupy Maine encampment and were called to break up a fight late Wednesday night.

Ernest Weidul, 51, no address, was charged with criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, after he was refused entry to another person’s tent around 9:45 p.m. Weidul displayed a knife during the confrontation.

Lt. Robert Ridge said five police officers were sent to the encampment shortly after 11 p.m. to break up a fight. No other details were available.

Occupy Maine has erected a number of tents at Lincoln Park.

5:40 p.m.: Occupy protesters among 8 barred from Lincoln Park

PORTLAND — Police have issued criminal trespass orders against eight people in the past two days, forbidding them from setting foot in Lincoln Park where the Occupy Maine protest has set up an encampment.

Police also charged a man, who had been ordered to stay away from the park, with criminal trespass after he was found today in the park.

Commander Vern Malloch said the officers’ actions are consistent with their approach in all city parks, where people engaged in crimes are issued orders to remain away from the park. He did say police are paying more attention to Lincoln Park because of the problems that have occurred there since the Occupy Maine protesters began their encampment.

Trespass orders were issued to five men and one woman who police say were drinking beer from paper cups around a table Tuesday afternoon. One of those was Jeffrey McLaughlin, 47. McLauughlin was arrested today for violating the order, police said.

Police also issued a criminal trespass order to Arnold Kidla, 33, after he was seen at 6:40 a.m. by an officer urinating in the park within 100 feet of the portable toilets, police said.

Organizers at Occupy Maine, which arranged for two portable toilets as part of a deal with city officials, say they have been filling up faster than they can be emptied, which has been twice weekly. About three weeks ago, protesters voted at a general assembly to lock the toilets during the day, forcing people to use other downtown restrooms. However, someone smashed the locks, an act that protesters say indirectly contributed to the hatchet attack on Nov. 18 that culminated with protester Christopher Schisler’s arrest on a charge of aggravated assault.

The broken locks purportedly prompted demonstrator Alan Porter to drum loudly early the following morning when it was time to rake leaves, said demonstrator Heather Curtis. That act led to a confrontation with Schisler.

The protesters no longer lock the toilets, though at one point, a tent was used to tie one shut because it was completely full and could not be used anymore.

Police this afternoon also issued a criminal trespass order against one of the protesters, John Montero, 34, for allegedly blocking the park’s walkway, although police officials were unable to provide details of the encounter this afternoon. Montero said he was told by officers the incident happened Tuesday, though he denied being in the park then and said he has never blocked anyone’s access to the park.

He was given three hours to pack up his tent and leave the park, and told not to return for a year. Montero said he didn’t know where he would go. He suggested officers targeted him because he is physically the biggest of the protesters.