ALFRED – Residents were on edge Sunday, finding themselves in the midst of a massive manhunt for an escaped prisoner who led U.S. marshals and police from three states to rural York County, where bloody clothes were found inside a Toyota Highlander he allegedly stole last week.

By Sunday night, police had no confirmed sightings of David Glenn Hobson, 33, of Alfred, who escaped from the Carroll County House of Corrections in Ossipee, N.H., on Thursday.

Police said they believe Hobson injured himself on razor wire during his escape, is armed, and that he headed to the Alfred area with the intention of harming two specific people. Police also say Hobson’s father tried to aid him in his flight from police, by leaving medical supplies for him.

“You don’t know where he is. He could be anywhere. Hopefully, they will catch him soon,” said Sally Lewis, a clerk at J and S Grocery and Deli in Sanford, one of the closest gas stations and convenience stores to the search scene.

Sandy Chapman, another clerk at the store, said the search brings back bad memories of a similar search for an escapee from the York County Jail down the road in Alfred.

“We have kids — kids who walk home from school,” said Chapman.

Residents of the area said the sight of helicopters and state troopers with search dogs had made them jumpy and nervous. Although the woods and fields were splashed by the golden late-autumn sun on the back roads near the search scene Sunday afternoon, and Alfred village hummed with passing cars laden with Christmas trees, a long, dark night was just a few hours away.

“It is very scary,” said Kim Smith of Alfred.

The search Sunday was focused in the heavily wooded area at the Alfred, Lyman and Sanford town lines near the Massabesic Experimental Forest. That is the area where, on Saturday night, police recovered a blood-soaked black 2004 Toyota Highlander SUV on Whichers Mills Road believed to have been stolen by Hobson in Wakefield, N.H., on Thursday, said Steve McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

The bloody vehicle confirmed police suspicions that Hobson was seriously injured when he climbed a razor wire-topped fence to escape from the jail. Police had also been looking for a 2004 blue Honda Accord stolen from Sanford on Friday, but officials said Sunday that car was located in Old Orchard Beach and any connection to Hobson was ruled out.

The search and police warnings made many local residents jittery.

“A lot of people are talking about it, just about everybody,” said Zac Brown, a clerk at Sonny’s Convenience Store on Middle Road in Lyman, a couple of miles from Whichers Mills Road.

Brown said he had heard the helicopters — Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts state police all had helicopters in use — and the sounds of searchers in the woods.

“I think everyone is aware,” he said.

Maureen Menter, who lives on nearby New Dam Road, said she was especially nervous Saturday night but was less nervous during the daylight.

“It is a little unnerving,” said Menter.

Troopers, game wardens, local and county police and the U.S. Marshal’s Service are continuing to look for Hobson but he has not been spotted since his escape. McCausland said police believe Hobson remains in the area.

Police continue to warn people that Hobson is armed, dangerous and desperate. They have asked anyone who sees him to call them.

McCausland said people should be vigilant about their surroundings and aware of buildings attractive to a fugitive seeking refuge or supplies.

Hobson’s father, Glenn Hobson, 55, was arrested Friday on a charge of hindering apprehension and refusing to submit to arrest after leaving out medical supplies and provisions for his son, said McCausland.

Police also said they believe Hobson was planning to harm two southern Maine residents, which is why he headed for the Alfred area. They have not identified his targets, who are in a safe place, said McCausland. Hobson was in jail awaiting trial on a burglary charge.

Staff Writer Ray Routhier contributed to this story.

Staff Writer Beth Quimby can be contacted at 791-6363 or at:

[email protected]