FREEPORT — Roger Goodwin Wilmot Sr., 85, died at the Veterans Home in Scarborough on Jan. 20.

He was born in Barre, Vt. on Dec. 13, 1916 to Durward C. Wilmot and Mildred Goodwin Wilmot. Wilmot graduated from Barre High School and the Wentworth Institute in Boston, Mass.

He met his future wife, Marion Morley, in Malden, Mass. and they were married on Oct. 29, 1942. They were married for 55 and a half years when she died on July 16, 1997.

Wilmot served his country during World War II in the U.S. Army Air Force as a bomb site specialist stationed in England. He was very proud to serve his country.

When he came home from the war he and his wife built their home in Malden, Mass. and raised their five children. He worked for Esso Standard Refinery in Everett, Mass. as a calibration and instrumentation expert for 25 years. He was also employed for 15 years for Stop-N-Shop as a maintenance man. He retired at the age of 62.

Wilmot loved to sing and had a very strong faith which he instilled in his children. His family attended the Center Methodist Church in Malden where all of his children sang in the choir with him.

He was a Grand Master of the Malden, Mass. Masonic Lodge.

One of his many enjoyments in life was when he and Marion purchased a camp in Franklin, N.H. on Webster Lake. His generosity and hospitality were enjoyed by many people who came to swim, water ski, fish, eat, relax and make memories. Wilmot continued to water ski into his 80s.

Wilmot truly loved being outdoors. As a young man he belonged to a conservation group and planted trees. He was a great gardener and loved to grow his own vegetables. He enjoyed taking his grandchildren and any one else who wanted to tag along to go pick blueberries and blackberries. His wife would later make jams, pies and muffins with their haul.

Carpentry was a big part of his life and he not only built his own home, but helped his friends and family build and restore homes. All of his children had projects for him and loved to work with him.

He and his wife moved to Maine and became snowbirds, traveling to Bradenton, Fla. in the winter and back to Maine and New Hampshire in the summer.

When Marion died he was living in Freeport and he later became a part of a walking group with the Freeport Elders Association. It was there he met his second wife, Elaine Jacobson Record Rantuccio. They have been very active in the Elders Association, working on pancake breakfasts both serving and cooking. They greatly enjoyed traveling and taking trips with the Elders Association. They were very fortunate to have spent their golden years together; their companionship of love, laughter and friendship was a gift to them both.

Wilmot is survived by his five children Roger G. Wilmot Jr. of Yarmouth, Jane Zerounian of San Juan Capistrano, Calif., John W. Campbell Sr. of Tuckahoe, N.J., Warren J. Wilmot Sr. of The Villages, Fla. and Frye Island and Jeanette Colameta of Ashby, Mass; 21 grandchildren; 13 great-grandchildren; sister Shirley Reeves of Quincy, Mass.; step-sons Paul Record and Theodore Record; and five step-grandchildren.

A memorial service for Wilmot was held on Jan. 28 at First Parish Church, 40 Main St., Freeport.

Sidebar Elements