I-295 exit ramp reopens after washout is repaired

The Washington Avenue exit ramp for northbound traffic on Interstate 295 in Portland reopened at 5 p.m. Tuesday after being closed most of the day due to a washout, according to the Maine Department of Transportation.

An early-morning thunderstorm caused flooding where two culverts were to be joined, closing the exit ramp that takes vehicles under the highway.

Officials said infrastructure work alongside the entrance ramp from Washington Avenue to the interstate also contributed to the problem.

Second finalist to replace Morse is from Philadelphia

The second finalist for Portland school superintendent has been identified as Emmanuel Caulk, an assistant superintendent in Philadelphia.

Caulk was scheduled to meet the public Tuesday evening at Casco Bay High School.

The other finalist, Marguerite Vanden Wyngaard, deputy superintendent in in Paterson, N.J., met with the public earlier this month.

Caulk and Wyngaard are seeking to replace James C. Morse, who resigned earlier this year to take a job in New Hampshire.


Man holds up credit union on Alfred Street at gunpoint

Maine police said a man made off with an undetermined amount of cash after robbing a credit union at gunpoint Tuesday.

The York County Sheriff’s Department said the man entered the Infinity Credit Union on Alfred Road in Arundel at 9:30 a.m. showed a handgun and demanded money.

Investigators said it’s not known if the robber had an accomplice. He was described as a white male, 6 feet tall and weighing 150 to 160 pounds. He was wearing a yellow fisherman-type suit with an orange face mask.


Woman robs bank after waiting in line

Police said a woman waited in line at a York bank Tuesday afternoon before robbing it with about a dozen people still in the building.

Police said the woman handed a note to the teller at Kennebunk Savings Bank and made off with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police would not say what the note said or whether the woman was armed. Detective Sgt. Thomas Cryan told the Portsmouth Herald that there was no threat of violence.

The woman is described as being in her mid-20s, about 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 6 inches tall and 180 to 200 pounds. Police said she had long brown hair and was wearing glasses, a tan baseball cap, a blue long-sleeved top and dark blue pants.


Police apprehend man after 14-hour standoff

A 67-year-old man was taken into custody early Tuesday after a nearly 14-hour armed standoff in Turner.

The Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Department said John Hunnewell was charged with reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon when he was apprehended at about 2 a.m.

The standoff started just after noon on Monday when police responded to reports of someone being threatened by a man with a shotgun.

The suspect went to his home where he barricaded himself inside.

State police and the state Warden Service also responded to the scene.


Inmate pleads not guilty in prisoner’s beating death

A 49-year-old Maine State Prison inmate pleaded not guilty Tuesday morning to charges that he was involved in the 2011 beating death of another prisoner.

Franklin Higgins entered not guilty pleas before Justice Jeffrey Hjelm in Knox County Superior Court to two counts of aggravated attempted murder.

Higgins had originally been indicted in October for murder in connection to the death of Lloyd Millett.


Local man ‘serious’ after hitting tree

A Lebanon man suffered “serious injuries” after his 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe left Champion Street just after 5 p.m. Tuesday and hit a tree head-on.

Assistant Rescue Chief Jason Cole said the man, whose name was not available, is in his 50s.

He was transported to Frisbie Memorial Hospital in Rochester, N.H.