A toddler was airlifted to a Boston hospital with serious burns after she fell into a fire pit in Lebanon this morning.

The 2-year-old girl from Milton, N.H., was camping with her family at Flat Rock Bridge Family Resort when she was burned around 6:30 a.m., according to Assistant Chief Jason Cole of the Lebanon Rescue Department. He said the incident was a “tragic accident” that occurred while the mother was nearby. 

“The child was outside playing with family when she apparently fell backwards into the fire pit, which had hot coals in it,” Cole said. “They had put the fire out last night in the fire pit and it continued to smolder all night. When the toddler fell into the fire pit, the family pulled her out immediately and called for help.”

The girl was taken by helicopter to Boston because of her “serious burns,” Cole said. Campground staff and bystanders assisted until rescue crews arrive.

The Maine Fire Marshals Office was called to the scene to investigate.